New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologize if I missed previous threads on this. Recently moved to the Albany area (clifton park) from the southern tier. Are there any reasonable places to get reloading supplies in the area? Used to know good out-of-the-way places in Broome/Tioga, that saved me shipping costs w/ on-line ordering. Powder and primers are particular pains.
Thanks!

· Registered
2,107 Posts
I've purchased from Zack's in Round Lake if I absolutely have to.

I've heard people talk fondly of Beecroft's in Schaghticoke but haven't been myself.
Zacks Sports in Round Lake, Beecroft's in Schagticoke and Shooter's in Valatie will be your best options.

· Registered
1,758 Posts
IMHO - you will not find "reasonable prices" at Zack's or Beecroft's. $24 per pound for powder last time I asked.....

· Banned
9,724 Posts
IMHO - you will not find "reasonable prices" at Zack's or Beecroft's. $24 per pound for powder last time I asked.....
This is what you get from Zack's .......

25lbs of 7 1/2 shot ........... $54.99
one pound of powder ........ $24.99
one 500ct bag of wads they SAID would work which won't ..... $8.99 (told me the short red wads were what I needed for Federal hulls ... come to find out they are for another hull AND for buckshot!!
add in some sales tax and ............................................... $96.08 out the door!!! Cheaper to buy new ammo than it is to reload if buying from Zack's!!!

Beecroft's I heard was closing their doors and the prices are coming down since the last time I was in there. Maybe a better choice than Zack's and certainly more knowledgeable when it comes to reloading and definitely more supplies BUT .. still high on price as far as I can tell and I'm new to the reloading world. I haven't found anyplace around that's has the whole package of good pricing, knowledge and selection. :(

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info! I've been to Zacks, and honestly wasn't all that impressed. While looking around, I listened to an associate trying to sell a S&W 500 to a guy just getting his permit. I give the guy credit for asking questions, but it was obvious he was just starting to learn about hand guns. I stood in line for 10 minutes to buy a box of ammo, when I gave up and drove down to Walmart.
I haven't been to Beecrofts, but it looks like it's close to Stillwater R&G Club, so I'll check it out next time I'm up there.
Shooters is a bit of a drive for me, so I'll give them a call to see what they have.

· Registered
229 Posts
I usually go to Beecroft's when I need reloading supplies. They have a great powder selection, and I've found good prices there on 4 lb containers. If you're looking for brass, Beecroft's is the place to go as well - they have a pretty diverse selection. I've always found primers there, and they have a pretty extensive collection of dies and reloading tools. Some presses, lead, and cast bullets as well as mfg bullets. Overall, I usually find what I need there when I'm looking for reloading supplies.

Chicken Shoot: I don't think they're closing anytime soon. Besides the fact that they've been there a long time, they just paved their parking lot and driveway. That's a big investment for a business that's closing, so I don't believe they are. Just my $0.02.

Zack's is pricey when it comes to reloading supplies, and the options are limited. They're branching out into this; a year ago you couldn't find any reloading supplies there. No brass to be found there. I think their ammo prices are also excessively high. But I like the staff, and have found some great deals on pistols there, so they continue to get my business.

· Registered
148 Posts
Keeping an eye on this thread since I'm starting to get into reloading.

Regarding Zack's: Yeah, I'm with you on the priced high bit. But their customer service is top notch, they let you take your time, and I've done lay-a-way on things starting with $20 bucks. Also, some of their staff are a bit more educated than others, but overall, I don't feel like a jerk asking them questions and they have also thrown me labor based freebies (scope mountings, headspace checks). I still like em.

· Registered
1,758 Posts
Last time I was in Oakwood they tried to sell me primers at $50 per thousand. I laughed at them and walked out.

I have found that teh smaller the shop is the better the prices are. I recommend checking the yellow pages to see who is close to you.

· Registered
1,868 Posts
Regarding Zack's: Yeah, I'm with you on the priced high bit. But their customer service is top notch
The couple of times I've been in there I dared to bother tearing one of them away from their behind the counter conversation or their plate of food to ask a question.

They don't know the meaning of customer service... how about "hello" when you walk through the door? "Can I help you out with anything" as you wander the place? "Please let me know if you have any other questions", etc...

Horrible, horrible shop... no customer service, high prices, no high end guns. The only reason I'll set foot in there are for small things that I don't want to mail order and that B&J or Oakwood doesn't have in stock.

· Banned
9,724 Posts
I usually go to Beecroft's when I need reloading supplies. They have a great powder selection, and I've found good prices there on 4 lb containers. If you're looking for brass, Beecroft's is the place to go as well - they have a pretty diverse selection. I've always found primers there, and they have a pretty extensive collection of dies and reloading tools. Some presses, lead, and cast bullets as well as mfg bullets. Overall, I usually find what I need there when I'm looking for reloading supplies.

Chicken Shoot: I don't think they're closing anytime soon. Besides the fact that they've been there a long time, they just paved their parking lot and driveway. That's a big investment for a business that's closing, so I don't believe they are. Just my $0.02.

Zack's is pricey when it comes to reloading supplies, and the options are limited. They're branching out into this; a year ago you couldn't find any reloading supplies there. No brass to be found there. I think their ammo prices are also excessively high. But I like the staff, and have found some great deals on pistols there, so they continue to get my business.
That parking lot was paved years ago. Recently sealed coated and painted ... yep. It's also their driveway ... it only holds 6-8 vehicles so not much of a parking lot. Anyways, I have been told by many who have been buying from there for MANY years that they will be winding down soon. I guess he's had enough after all those years. Maybe that's all rumors ... I really don't know for sure (hence why I said ... I heard ...) You could be right and maybe they aren't closing?? It would be nice if they aren't though as they are really close to the SWRGC that I belong to.

· Registered
166 Posts
I know that it would be a bit of a drive from the cap. district but Franks gun shop in broadalbin is a great place to shop.Every time that I go in there they have what I want. Cust. service is second to none and thier prices are what you see in most catalogs without the shipping and hazmat fees.So if you are in the area give them a try.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.