New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

· Formerly SRV1
4,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get all the reloading tools needed to do everything from start to finish. Who usually has the best price and what brands? I do not want a single stage either since it will be slow as hell. Also, what are good prices for primers and powder? I have no clue what the going rate it on these things.

Thanks, James

· Registered
8,557 Posts
You will want a single stage for rifles above 223 or it won't be cost effective. There are several good brands lee RCBS and Hornaday are probably the ones you will be wanting, I have RCBS, you will need good books too, Sierra, Lyman and Hornaday are great books, plus the powder companies publish their data for free.

How many calibers are we talking? Figure 70 bucks for dies and shell plate for RCBS and you will need powder scales, trimmers, so on....
lot of money to get started.

· Registered
8,557 Posts
Anything taller than 223?

· Registered
8,557 Posts
.308, 30-30
You will want a single stage for those, or a turret press, the othe calibers you will be able to use a progressive press like the RCBS pro 2000 auto indexing (600 bucks). A single stage press will cost about 100 bucks.

· Registered
8,557 Posts
What I'm looking for is something I buy once and not buy one beginner kit and then have to buy the next kit.
Actually buy that kit then you have a press for your big calibers then you can get the Hornaday progressive press for the rest of your calibers.

· Formerly SRV1
4,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You will want a single stage for those, or a turret press, the othe calibers you will be able to use a progressive press like the RCBS pro 2000 auto indexing (600 bucks). A single stage press will cost about 100 bucks.
Actually buy that kit then you have a press for your big calibers then you can get the Hornaday progressive press for the rest of your calibers.
So I do need the single and the progressive to do both?

· Registered
8,557 Posts
So I do need the single and the progressive to do both?
Unless you are going to go Dillion precision XL650 or XL1050. Most progressive presses on the market won't do bigger than 223

Edit looks like the Hornaday lock and Load AP will do up to 30-06

· Formerly SRV1
4,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thing is I do not know anything about which brand is better or of better quality. The Dillon looks very nice but with these types of equipment, is most of the parts interchangeable like dies and other things?

James

· Registered
7,703 Posts
How much ammo at a time do you want to reload? You only need a progressive press if you really want to crank it out. For most hobbyist's I think a single stage is fine and a lot easier to learn on.

· Formerly SRV1
4,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
How much ammo at a time do you want to reload? You only need a progressive press if you really want to crank it out. For most hobbyist's I think a single stage is fine and a lot easier to learn on.
Well I after reading about the single stage, I do not see why I cannot just use the progressive and be done with it. I want to reload basically for plinking and not so much for experimenting with hotter loads or finding how much FPS I can get out of a certain powder. Does that make sense?

James

· Formerly SRV1
4,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Originally Posted by SRV1
I found all the information on Google. Try there since it only took me 45 seconds.

James

Sorry had to do it to be a wise azz :D
That is ok. The difference is that I did search the internet but I still do not understand certain things. The other person just did not search and wanted something handed to him. A lot of contradicting information on some websites saying you can use one press for almost all of your rifle and handgun ammo. I also wanted personal experiences from members here on this site.

James

· Registered
8,557 Posts
You really need someone to show you how to reload the first couple of times.

· Formerly SRV1
4,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You really need someone to show you how to reload the first couple of times.
Actually I have but maybe that person did not know as much as he thinks he did? This is why I'm asking. The main reason I want to reload now more than ever because of the incident in Colorado. They are going to put some kind of burden on us gun owners and they are definitely are going after our ammunition. They are going to make federal laws against buying ammo across state lines through the internet illegal, I have a funny feeling. Also they will try to put some kind of restriction on ammo and all it will do is drive ammo up in price. They may even ban reloading your own ammo, who know but I better do this now before things get really expensive. I plan on buying the equipment sometime this week.

James

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.