New York Firearms Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being that the deadline to register assault weapons has passed in NYS. What if I didn't realize something was considered an assault weapon. Can it still be registered, or would it be seized when one tried to late register it? Has anyone tried? I imagine the only time they may allow late registration is if someone said they didn't know they have to register it. Therefore if the police happen to later find your in possession of one, and you say you didn't know, will they permit you to register it, or will they just seize it?

· Registered
4,514 Posts
To my understanding the registry is CLOSED and any 'assault weapons' must be disposed of via sale or removal out of state. Being caught with one will result in a seizure at the least if the LEO decides to take enforcement action.

That said, the NYSP still has a 'registry' page up... you just have to put in your name, part of your soc# and your physical address and I'm sure they'll come help.

Edit: Some 'assault weapons' like ARs can be modified to make them SAFE-compliant and therefore not subject to the registry, etc.

· Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The registry may be closed, but I thought since the law mentioned 30 days grace if one didn't know it needed to be registered. But it may just be 30 days to dispose of the gun. Has anyone tried to late register an assault weapon?

· Registered
2,115 Posts
people can still register. people have done it. i know a few.

there is a "if you did not know you have 30 days to register" clause. read it. if you qualify do it if that is your intent.

you can always do it add a non removable mag button for insurance, and wait and see. (if you do this you would NOT be in possession of an AW as it would no longer be an AW........IF they showed up.....which i doubt they will.....

people have registered after the deadline. no black helicopters. if you qualify. do it, if you so desire.

· Registered
2,778 Posts
people can still register. people have done it. i know a few.
But strictly speaking, he is in possession of an unregistered AW at this time, and they had to be registered a couple of years ago, correct? What I'm getting at is if you registered today you're basically admitting you had an unregistered AW in 2016 and I see no allowance in the law for that.

I don't see anything in the penal code above that offers a grace period valid at this point. I would play it safe and make the thing compliant at this stage; I would not admit in 2016 that I had an unregistered AW, which is precisely what registration is doing.

· Registered
892 Posts
A: Failure to register an assault weapon by the deadline is punishable as a class A misdemeanor and forfeiture of the weapon. If failure to register is deemed to be unintentional, a 30-day amnesty period will be extended for purposes of registering the weapon.

This is from the governer's Safe Act website.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.