New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So for those of us with AR pistols on our Permits. What seems to be our best option IF this atf rule on braces isnt overturned. (which it likely will not be)

We obviously cannot register it as an SBR because of the laws. So are we basically screwed all together? Just remove the brace and leave the buffer tube? Ditch the barrel and go 16 and remove the weapon from our permit?

Im trying to wrap my head around this since we cant apply for an Sbr stamp.

· Super Moderator
5,005 Posts
I would ditch the brace. An Ar pistol with fixed mag is still legal, but no brace is allowed from the way I read it.
I’m not sure what the brace costs you but having it with the pistol not installed may still be frowned upon and illegal. Good luck and tricky times.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats the way I read it too. Something like a normal round buffer without the detents and a foam cover. Or perhaps one of the thordson cheek rests. But even those may be out. We'll have to wait and see I guess. This country is doomed.

· Super Moderator
5,005 Posts
Thats the way I read it too. Something like a normal round buffer without the detents and a foam cover. Or perhaps one of the thordson cheek rests. But even those may be out. We'll have to wait and see I guess. This country is doomed.
Correct. Now you need an NFA stamp for a brace? Come on. They are essentially building a database of who has guns like these. I would go with the buffer tube and foam IMO. The thorden thing makes me nervous because if you brace it against your cheek is it still a brace! Granted I don’t need with these so I have only glossed over the ruling and not thought about it much. Even though I’m not impacted doesn’t mean it’s not BS!! Good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts