New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As I wait for my parts to come in the mail, I've been looking at the next step in my rifle build: a quality red dot sight. I'm looking in the $400 range of red dot sights made either here in the US or a friendly country (Canada, Germany, Sweden, etc.) or known for quality (Russia). I've got estimates of how much my rifle would weigh, and it would be fully functional at approximately 5 lbs 8-10oz (buis included) and be approximately 33" long. I would like to keep the rifle as light as possible and with as low a profile as possible to prevent snagging.

The rifle has three main purposes: Training, Range Time, Defense (i.e. under 100 yards).

I was looking at the Trijicon Reflex, EoTech XPS2, and Aimpoint PRO. Anyone have experience with these sights? Any real cons to these sights? Any other sight's I should look at?

Add: This is not a blind request, I have done some research on these sights, just looking for opinions and experience.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
26 Posts
The three sights you listed I looked at for myself and they are all awesome sights but they were out of my price range for my AR. I ended up going with the Vortex SPARC II red dot as it was very highly rated and it comes with a unlimited lifetime warranty. I am going next week to the range and I can't wait to see how this does. As for the three you have listed, each has their own argument to be someones favorite but I would choose the Aimpoint Pro if money wasnt a consideration from the articles i have read.

·
Banned
5,970 Posts
If I had an AR it would have an Aimpoint on it. Probably a Comp M2, but the Comp M4 is probably a better choice because it has a smaller dot, the 4 MOA dot on the M2 can obscure a small target at 100 yards

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do my best to NOT buy things from China is able to. Micro and M4 are both around $700 and out of my range. I can find around $400 within the next month, not $700 (unfortunately).

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
I have all 3 and still can't decide which I like more. Each has their own plus and minus spectrum. The Trijicon Reflex will need an ARMs mount o be perfect so now oirnonna spend some more dough. Palmetto State armory has sales all the time on the PRO. Wait for next weekend may have holiday sale. I got mine for $359 on sale

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Come on up if you wanna try them all out on your rifle

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Check ebay and gunbroker. Used ones are a good value because all of those things are so durable that they'll last forever.

What kind of build are you doing? featureless or fixed mag?

·
Registered
480 Posts
Check ebay and gunbroker. Used ones are a good value because all of those things are so durable that they'll last forever.
But aren't there knockoffs being sold as real? I seem to remember stories of people finding out that the deal they got at a gun show didn't look so good after they discovered it wasn't a real Aimpoint. They even have a section on their site about it.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Come on up if you wanna try them all out on your rifle
I'd love to, but LTC has been a pain w/ DA 31's. Have any pictures of side by sides? Opinions on weight and balance, etc?

What kind of build are you doing? featureless or fixed mag?
It's featureless. I'm waiting on Palmetto LPK. PSA takes a long time w/ orders.

·
Registered
157 Posts
As I wait for my parts to come in the mail, I've been looking at the next step in my rifle build: a quality red dot sight. I'm looking in the $400 range of red dot sights made either here in the US or a friendly country (Canada, Germany, Sweden, etc.) or known for quality (Russia). I've got estimates of how much my rifle would weigh, and it would be fully functional at approximately 5 lbs 8-10oz (buis included) and be approximately 33" long. I would like to keep the rifle as light as possible and with as low a profile as possible to prevent snagging.

The rifle has three main purposes: Training, Range Time, Defense (i.e. under 100 yards).

I was looking at the Trijicon Reflex, EoTech XPS2, and Aimpoint PRO. Anyone have experience with these sights? Any real cons to these sights? Any other sight's I should look at?

Add: This is not a blind request, I have done some research on these sights, just looking for opinions and experience.

Thanks in advance
Aimpoint pro comes in around 400$. Imo the micros are the **** though. I own both and other optics like pa red dots and a sparc. Save your money and get the aimpoint, hell with the t2 you might see a nice price drop on a t1. You will be pissed at yourself if you don't.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have the Aimpoint PRO and love it. Last week we were at the range while others were sighting in their hunting rifles for the upcoming deer season, I tagged along with my AR. I was able to maintain the same degree of accuracy at 100 yards and almost the same at 200 yards as the traditional "Nail Drivers". One feature I love is Aimpoint recommends that LE leaves the sight on as it has a 3 year battery life!

While I have not used any other sight, I'm sure there are a bunch of quality red-dot optics on the market, I do love using this sight! I ended up buying from Optics Planet on one of their sale weekends, normally around $415 I got it at $374 (10% off), free shipping and of course no tax.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts