New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive looked at tons of pictures online as i couldnt find any definative articles....

So is it a matter of personal preference? Or is there a science to it? Not the mounting itself.... but rather positioning... to the front or to the rear?

Ive tried both and to the back provides better dot on target time but restricts peripheral vision.. whereas. Forwards has better peri. But slower acquisition.. its a big tube red dot

· Registered
2,534 Posts

As far forward on the upper receiver as possible.
Not bridging the gap between upper to quad/float tube/whatever as it can change zero subtly depending on flexing.
If nothing else it'll screw with repeatability when removing/re~installing the sight.

Same for not mounting on the handguard, too much potential to move
(or worse, loose the sight should the handguard fail or fall off...)

Should you have a monolithic upper, knock yourself out.
The entirety of the top run is yours to play with.

Realistically you're going to have more stress over chosing between absolute or lower 1/3 co witness for fixed sights or what type BUIS you'll run with if they're folders than you ever will aquiring the reticle.

Set properly and with consistant presentation and hold, the retical is going to be right there every time. IOW, pratice pulling up and shouldering about a zillion times until muscle memory is burnt in.
The retical might not be centered (moot if its a parallax free optic) in the window (which you shouldn't actually be focusing on to begin with) but it will indeed be there.

Both eyes open, focus on target, the reticle will sort of appear like its floating in thin air but you'll not even see the optic body beyond perhaps as a ghost shape around the reticle.
Trick is to not let it draw your focus because staring at a sight body 8" in front of your eyes isn't going to help a bit with a target more than 9" away.

· Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow excellent post.. i think i should have specified this was for a 12year g hunting application with a bsquare mount

· Registered
2,534 Posts
Physics of it would be the same as above whether 12 year old hunting w/shotgun or using a 12 gauge to hunt kids: forward on receiver, avoid barrel or things wrapped around it.
(I'd suggest 20ga instead for kids though. Doesn't ruin nearly as much meat)

The bsquare might be a thing when it comes to optic choices though.
On one hand it narrows the selection way, way down, but on the flip side a large %~age of dots come with mounts or have mount options available for a few extra duckies so the bsquare can come off for use on something else.

AFA violence of recoil, if you get a quality optic it'll take it fine.
They are in use regularly on stuff from shotguns up through .50 caliber rifles

· Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the follow up.... yeah them kids run fast ;) (phone likes to "correct" things on its own)

But putting your advise in practice i mounted it as far forward on the rail as possible depending (it only a 4 inch difference between the 2 options)..

There isa noticeable difference in shouldering of the weapon and target acquisition. Now to try it at at a distance.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.