New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
13,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever since I was a kid I wanted to get a nice over/under 12 GA, fine walnut stock, checkering and some nice inlay on receiver. Back in early '80s I loved the Winchester custom grades as an example. What are your recommendations today? $2,500 - $3,500 budget for field or skeet but more importantly to pass down to my son one day. Thanks.

· Registered
357 Posts
These 2 stores are very much worth a visit and not too far from Cornwall here in Dutchess just off the Taconic;

- Safari Outfitters Ltd. -

BSAHome

Charles Schneible at BSA is a very knowledgable and good for fitting.

Niles Wheeler has a wider assortment of both shotgun and rifles.

Depends a bit if your looking for a gun that is used and will hold its value, or you want new.

You can get some outstanding value shopping used; it usually puts you in a better class gun for a more modest price.

Or if you want to start new and pass it on;

I have a Caesar Guerini 20 and 28 Essex thats a favorite.

This would fit the bill....

Caesar Guerini Orvis Sidelplate 2 bbl set 12ga $3,595

Look at a Beretta for sure; lots of choices in your price range.

My rodent controller; (as a 28);

Both sell guns well into the 5 and 6 figures for price; but are more than willing to help anyone out. I have bought from both.

· Registered
120 Posts
You might want to consider a DT10 Beretta. Great wood with some of the best mechanics on the market. At your price though, it would have to be used or look into a SV10 (a field model but still pretty). Let us know what you selected or if you want more opinions.

· Registered
895 Posts
Trapshooter.com usually has some pretty good O/U's for sale there. Was a nice Perazzi MT 6 listed there a few days ago, decent price, beautiful gun. Worth a look.

· Registered
2,107 Posts
cant go wrong with a browning

· Registered
11,402 Posts
Browning GTI
Lanber Sporting Delux
Beretta (several)

Perazzi, Guerinni, Stephano.. you pay more for less in those price brackets. The above like many others win competitions left and right.
My recommendation with the O/U like many other firearms is to see if you can try some before you buy. Stop by the local clubs and folks will let you do a test drive I am sure. The old Berettas are rock solid. Lately I have been hearing some horror stories with Beretta's QC and customer service from close friends.

· Registered
1,194 Posts
There is a Browning Citori Plus Combo on another board for 3100.00. It has 30" O/U barrels, 34" single barrel and a PFS stock along with the original stock. Plus's have adj. comb. adj. rib. adj LOP and a recoil reducer. If I didn't have a BT99 Plus and a Citori Plus I would buy it. They go up in value every year. I think it has a hard case also

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.