New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking ot purchase a AK 47 variant. what do you guys who own one recommend? how much would i expect ot shell out

i heard the Romanian, and Bulgarian AKs are good and relatively cheap.

i noticed AK prices have jacked up over the last year or so.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
I have a Romanian WASR-10. I paid $400...um...2 years ago? Can't remember when I got it. Anyway, just saw one at Herb Phillipson's in Syracuse for $450-ish. (If I remember right?)

They are OK IF you don't mind doing some work. Mine had some massive magazine wobble that I had to fix, and it was full of crud. (Crud = cosmoline + metal shavings from when they opened up the mag-well to make it accept double stack magazines.)

I also hated the crap wood that came on it (replaced with K-VAR stock set.), replaced the trigger with a TAPCO one (because trigger slap hurts!), and replaced the rear sight with a peep one.

·
awesome for hire.
3,608 Posts
Jeremy you saw one at Herb's recently? I may have to take a trip out there :)

·
awesome for hire.
3,608 Posts
any rochester local places stocking those yet?

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
They have a nice Romanian PSL next to it too. For some reason I could not convince my wife to let me buy the GSG-5 and put the PSL on a credit card, even after I explained how cheap ammo is for it. (Of course, I told her that about the GSG-5 too...) ;D

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Bought my Hi-Cap Romanian WASR-10 at Camillus Gun and Bait for $380 back in 2007. Love it, no issues and it's defnitely a work-horse that'll eat up anything you put in it.

Agreed on the furniture, though--first thing to be added was a K-Var stock set, which made a WORLD of difference.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
RDFABSREP said:
Bought my Hi-Cap Romanian WASR-10 at Camillus Gun and Bait for $380 back in 2007. Love it, no issues and it's defnitely a work-horse that'll eat up anything you put in it.

Agreed on the furniture, though--first thing to be added was a K-Var stock set, which made a WORLD of difference.
Ya, I like the extra length on them. The commie stock was too short. :-X

·
Premium Member
1,508 Posts
I got my WASR10 at Herb's in NH, same kinda deal $350 and it eats whatever I feed it. Great gun. I would love any of the arsenal arms guns. I had a chance to shoot one of these on my recent trip to NV.
http://www.arsenalinc.com/articles/slr105/slr105.pdf

RE Furniture- I changed my wood out for a KVar set and then went back to the wood. I liked the short stock much better. A lot of carbine/rifle and shotgun stocks are too long for the user for combative shooting.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
if you want a better AK and dont mind spending the money vz58. Looks like an ak but a very different beast. Just as tough and reliable if not more so due to "ejection port"

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ChrisFry said:
I got my WASR10 at Herb's in NH, same kinda deal $350 and it eats whatever I feed it. Great gun. I would love any of the arsenal arms guns. I had a chance to shoot one of these on my recent trip to NV.
http://www.arsenalinc.com/articles/slr105/slr105.pdf

RE Furniture- I changed my wood out for a KVar set and then went back to the wood. I liked the short stock much better. A lot of carbine/rifle and shotgun stocks are too long for the user for combative shooting.
is arsenal the bulgarian AKs?

·
awesome for hire.
3,608 Posts
BigDave said:
ya mike herb philipson's in liverpool has a nice wasr-10
Liverpool eh? Maybe we need to have a nyfirearms Heids Hotdogs meet so I can run out there and pick it up :)

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
mikecentola said:
Liverpool eh? Maybe we need to have a nyfirearms Heids Hotdogs meet so I can run out there and pick it up :)
I'm down. Hot Fries and Coneys...mmmmm

·
Premium Member
1,508 Posts
elpresidentedemexico said:
how are lancaster AK's? a bit pricey no? is it worth it?
I have had hands on and shot a tantal from them I think last year. It was very nice. The quality was much better than my Century Arms WASR, especially the furniture. The guy who's gun I shot said it cost him over $1000 so YES IMO they are pricey for an AK.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts