New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
3gun help....I finally finished my BA AR, love my FN57, but need a shotgun. I want top of the line, wheather I need to build it or buy it new out of box. What's the best to use? Pump/semi auto? Plain Jane or tacticool? What do you use?

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Not sure because I have no 3 gun experience, but I have heard ALOT of good things about Mossberg 930 SPX models, I want one myself. Semiauto, 8 shot I believe.

I'd go with a Mossberg 590 if you prefer pump action.

·
Registered
111 Posts
What are you looking to use it for??? Duck Hunting?? Target Hunting?? Turkey Hunting?? Home Defense??

Mossberg 500 for hunting..

Remi 870 Tactical for HD..

·
Registered
6,159 Posts
I prefer pump action. Mossberg 590A1. I don't partake in 3 gun though. Looks like a hell of a lot of fun.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
What are you looking to use it for??? Duck Hunting?? Target Hunting?? Turkey Hunting?? Home Defense??

Mossberg 500 for hunting..

Remi 870 Tactical for HD..
He's using it for a 3 gun competition.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not sure because I have no 3 gun experience, but I have heard ALOT of good things about Mossberg 930 SPX models, I want one myself. Semiauto, 8 shot I believe.

I'd go with a Mossberg 590 if you prefer pump action.
I think EvilD uses the 930. that is one i've been looking at for a while. Going to research the that one fo-sho.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
3gun help....I finally finished my BA AR, love my FN57, but need a shotgun. I want top of the line, wheather I need to build it or buy it new out of box. What's the best to use? Pump/semi auto? Plain Jane or tacticool? What do you use?
you will not be able to use that pistol in any matches. But that is a whole diff subject.

Moss 930 JM is about a good of deal as you can find. Don't bother with the SPX stuff, the sights are slow and they do not hold enough rounds. Other that that you jump up to the versamax and the FN slp.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
you will not be able to use that pistol in any matches. But that is a whole diff subject.

Moss 930 JM is about a good of deal as you can find. Don't bother with the SPX stuff, the sights are slow and they do not hold enough rounds. Other that that you jump up to the versamax and the FN slp.
The SPX holds more rounds then the JM model I thought? I cannot comment about the sights though, I thought theyd be good I like ghost ring sights

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
JM holds 9+1 in factory form SPX is 7+1.

Even with the JM you really should ad a larger Nordic cap extension and get it to 10+1 to be more competitive. Ghost rings are slow, no shotgun sight is faster than a single bead.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
JM holds 9+1 in factory form SPX is 7+1.

Even with the JM you really should ad a larger Nordic cap extension and get it to 10+1 to be more competitive. Ghost rings are slow, no shotgun sight is faster than a single bead.
Huh, I didn't realize, here is a ghost loading tutorial, should work for all the 930 models, can you ghost load in 3 gun?

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Here you go, you can build it right here.

Mossberg & Sons | 85119

Also, I didn't know the JM series had such a capacity advantage, I'll just buy that and put the tactical ghost **** on it.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
You can only start stages with 9+1 in the gun or 9 in the tube with an empty chamber. Ghost loading is not needed, not to mention when you fix the 930 lifter and get rid of the fork on it, you can no longer ghost load it. In 3 gun you want to limit the amount of failures you might get, ghost loading is something that should be avoided if you can, instead just buy a bigger extension.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
OP if you have any spcific questions shoot me a PM, I would be happy to help you get the right gun for you. I have helped several guys get set up for the game.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
OP if you have any spcific questions shoot me a PM, I would be happy to help you get the right gun for you. I have helped several guys get set up for the game.
You bet I will. About to sell a few rifles if I can find a JM, out of stock every where.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
You bet I will. About to sell a few rifles if I can find a JM, out of stock every where.
with a little more time you can put together virtuly the same gun from a base 930 hunting model. If you need to go that route I will give you the contact info for the guy @ mossberg to order the barrel from.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
with a little more time you can put together virtuly the same gun from a base 930 hunting model. If you need to go that route I will give you the contact info for the guy @ mossberg to order the barrel from.
I produce steel for them, do you think I could use my discount or would I have to go to a dealer if I have to go your route for the barrel? I think I found one in stock, but I'm may not know till Wed.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
The contact is a direct contact for the guy who oversees parts. Anyone can reach out to him if they have his contact info.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts