New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone received a Pistol recertification reminder?
I set my own reminder on my phone's calendar....mine is due at the very end of this month. In no hurry to do it.
Just wondering if anyone's was due sooner and if they actually received a reminder from NYS.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you k ow it’s sue then just do it and so t wait for the reminder. You can check the NYS police web site and see your due date. I set an alert on my phone e.
I know my due date. I was just wondering if anyone received the reminder from NYS. I previously added the date to my phone's calendar to give me a reminder just like you did.

· Registered
413 Posts
I would check the NYSP website for the certification date and mark it in your calendar for the re-cert. You may not receive an email from the NYSP to re-certify.
ive never gotten a notification.

I did mine last feb right on time, ill be damned if i do it again before feb 2027. She can KMA
I know several people that have never done it and do not intend to.

· Registered
428 Posts
ive never gotten a notification.

I did mine last feb right on time, ill be damned if i do it again before feb 2027. She can KMA
I know several people that have never done it and do not intend to.
Yes, The State Police are not responsible for reminding their licensees to re-certify. You have to update any information, amendments removing and adding firearms. The County does not automatically update this information when you re-certify.

· Registered
8 Posts
Has anyone received a Pistol recertification reminder?
I set my own reminder on my phone's calendar....mine is due at the very end of this month. In no hurry to do it.
Just wondering if anyone's was due sooner and if they actually received a reminder from NYS.
I never received a reminder and it is due this Friday. I just track it on my google calender

· Registered
428 Posts
Damn, better do it. We’re you one of the ones that went from 5 years to three years under the CCIA? So I guess what I’m asking is if prior to the CCIA was your recert date 1/27/2025?
One of my friends told me he re-certified last year and his new pistol license when he did the amendment for semi automatic rifle also printed his date to re-certify in 01/27. I imagine people complained enough to the County Clerk to add that in since the pistol license clerk would scare people that they weren’t certified.

· Registered
8 Posts
Damn, better do it. We’re you one of the ones that went from 5 years to three years under the CCIA? So I guess what I’m asking is if prior to the CCIA was your recert date 1/27/2025?
Yes, in fact, the only reason I checked up on my recert when I did was that we moved to PA where I am originally from, and I wanted to see if the change of address I submitted transferred. It did not. The Irony is my wife who has had her CCL for years before me, her date did not change. You can go on to the state site and check the status of your recert at anytime.

Reactions: Saltwater60

· Registered
428 Posts
Yes, in fact, the only reason I checked up on my recert when I did was that we moved to PA where I am originally from, and I wanted to see if the change of address I submitted transferred. It did not. The Irony is my wife who has had her CCL for years before me, her date did not change. You can go on to the state site and check the status of your recert at anytime.
You have to update all amendments when you re-certify. As per the State Police, regarding all out of state residents. You have to mail in the home state drivers license.

· Registered
8 Posts
You have to update all amendments when you re-certify. As per the State Police, regarding all out-of-state residents. You have to mail in the home state drivers license.
Yes, but you do not do that through the recertify process. You submit everything through the county in which your CCL was issued and then update your information on the State Recertification portal.

· Registered
428 Posts
Yes, but you do not do that through the recertify process. You submit everything through the county in which your CCL was issued and then update your information on the State Recertification portal.
One of the neighbors moved to another state, he was getting grief from the clerk he can’t keep his pistol license when moving to another state. He was successful in keeping his pistol license. He however had to mail in his new drivers license. He was unable to do it on the Troopers website.

· Registered
8 Posts
One of the neighbors moved to another state, he was getting grief from the clerk he can’t keep his pistol license when moving to another state. He was successful in keeping his pistol license. He however had to mail in his new drivers license. He was unable to do it on the Troopers website.
Correct, mine was in Onondaga County and they require you to own property in the county and pay property taxes there. I sent a copy of my DMV, but they did not require me to send my CCL as they are keeping the address of my former residence on the permit, even though I am renting it out and do not live there. They changed my mailing address to the PA address in my file. I then went to the NYPSP site and updated my mailing address on the recertification, just to ensure compliance. I know that Broome county does things the same way, but I cannot speak for any other county in NY.
I will say that the Onondaga County Pistol Unit was very helpful, accommodating, and extremally professional, overall a good experience.

· Registered
428 Posts
Correct, mine was in Onondaga County and they require you to own property in the county and pay property taxes there. I sent a copy of my DMV, but they did not require me to send my CCL as they are keeping the address of my former residence on the permit, even though I am renting it out and do not live there. They changed my mailing address to the PA address in my file. I then went to the NYPSP site and updated my mailing address on the recertification, just to ensure compliance. I know that Broome county does things the same way, but I cannot speak for any other county in NY.
I will say that the Onondaga County Pistol Unit was very helpful, accommodating, and extremally professional, overall a good experience.
This guy no longer owned or paid taxes in New York. He kept his pistol license, the judge apparently agreed to his request to keep his pistol license since it was a lifetime pistol license.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts