New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
AmyBellantoni, my 2nd Amendment attorney emailed me my Certificate was granted in Nassau County this week. If you are trying to achieve this my advice would be to use an Attorney. They yell you , you don't need an Attorney, but trust me youll get a quicker and more favorable outcome.

·
Registered
571 Posts
AmyBellantoni, my 2nd Amendment attorney emailed me my Certificate was granted in Nassau County this week. If you are trying to achieve this my advice would be to use an Attorney. They yell you , you don't need an Attorney, but trust me youll get a quicker and more favorable outcome.
A step in the right direction for sure. Unfortunately a licensing officer can deny you regardless in this state based on how they determine your character to be in their opinion. Many take the stance of since you were arrested you do not have good character. Good luck.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hear you. I was also told I wouldn't get this far. I actually had no idea I was a prohibited person until 2 years ago. The arrest was in 1991. Fortunately for me I'm in no hurry and have the extra money to take it as far as I have to

·
Registered
571 Posts
I hear you. I was also told I wouldn't get this far. I actually had no idea I was a prohibited person until 2 years ago. The arrest was in 1991. Fortunately for me I'm in no hurry and have the extra money to take it as far as I have to
I like your passion, but you don't have far to take it. If the licensing officer says no, you have no recourse unless his decision is arbitrary and capricious. A denial based on your past arrest and/or conviction would not be considered arbitrary and capricious. The licensing officer will have a wide discretion to deny if he feels you are not of good moral character, regardless of other circumstances or certificates you have obtained. This is just the way it is in NY. Hope for the best, but don't throw too much money at it. It won't help.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I'm not a convicted felon
I'm not sure what that has to do with anything. In NY you may be denied just based on the Judges interpretation of your character. Others here have reported being denied for too many traffic tickets. And no - I'm not kidding.

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
I'm not sure what that has to do with anything. In NY you may be denied just based on the Judges interpretation of your character. Others here have reported being denied for too many traffic tickets. And no - I'm not kidding.
While this is correct it's numerous tickets in short order and that shows a disregard for authority, lack of respect for laws, and goes to character. I think one conviction and this person taking these steps goes a long way especially since it happened in 1991. I think staying out of trouble for 30 years says he has good character. Best of luck and hope you can make it happen. If it wasn't a felony I'm curious what made you a prohibited person? Domestic violence?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Criminal possession of a weapon 4th. In short 2 of the same guns were mixed up with a family member. When it was discovered I was asked to bring it to the local PD and we were both charged. It was 29 years ago and the only time I have had anything. I have no traffic tickets in my entire life.

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
Criminal possession of a weapon 4th. In short 2 of the same guns were mixed up with a family member. When it was discovered I was asked to bring it to the local PD and we were both charged. It was 29 years ago and the only time I have had anything. I have no traffic tickets in my entire life.
Good luck man. 30 years is a long time and I would hope this mistake could be forgiven. I think after all that time it could work out in your favor!!

·
Registered
571 Posts
Good luck. It's a bit ironic that you were charged with criminal possession of a weapon, and now you want a weapon permit. I can see this being an issue, but who knows. The police will give their recommendation to the judge, and he will have the final say.

In situations similar to this, the people usually never come back to let us know how it turned out, so I imagine it is not good. I hope you will continue to keep this thread updated with your results.

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
I hope the guy who was thinking about bringing a handgun in from PA and turning it in to the local sheriff reads this.

(He decided not to do so, but still, it's good to have real examples on hand).

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Smithy I'm so glad I don't live in your world. If you're so sure put your money where your mouth is. Any normal person who looks at the circumstances will see it was stupid. Oh and by the way, that family member , yeah he got his back 6 months ago. Anyone who is in a similar situation don't listen to this guy. Look at all his post all negative. And you're correct you won't hear from me.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Smithy I'm so glad I don't live in your world. If you're so sure put your money where your mouth is. Any normal person who looks at the circumstances will see it was stupid. Oh and by the way, that family member , yeah he got his back 6 months ago. Anyone who is in a similar situation don't listen to this guy. Look at all his post all negative. And you're correct you won't hear from me.
Am I negative, or realistic? If you want sunshine and roses, go somewhere else, son. Hopefully you are able to maintain your composure with the licensing officer better than you are here. Spouting off to him is only going to lead to you having a bad day. You don't seem to realize that a pistol permit is a privilege in this state. People with theft, robbery, domestic violence, assaults, and weapon charges do not fare very well. Is it impossible? No. Is it unlikely? Yes. As of right now, you have shown yourself to be quite the hot head. Hopefully you can get that under control before the licensing officer undresses you. Best of luck!

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
Am I negative, or realistic? If you want sunshine and roses, go somewhere else, son. Hopefully you are able to maintain your composure with the licensing officer better than you are here. Spouting off to him is only going to lead to you having a bad day. You don't seem to realize that a pistol permit is a privilege in this state. People with theft, robbery, domestic violence, assaults, and weapon charges do not fare very well. Is it impossible? No. Is it unlikely? Yes. As of right now, you have shown yourself to be quite the hot head. Hopefully you can get that under control before the licensing officer undresses you. Best of luck!
A hot head that disagrees with you so he should t get a pistol permit? God complex much? Grow up dude. It's a forum and people are here to state their opinions. You have yours and he has his now don't get all pissy that he disagrees with you and gave you a bit of lip back.
Honestly this is the 3rd or 4th guy that has pointed out your 100% negative on anyone without a 100% perfect record getting a permit. Keep in mind this was 30 years ago!! I'm sure mistakes are forgiven.

OP good luck my friend and keep me updated as I think you have a good shot!!

·
Registered
571 Posts
A hot head that disagrees with you so he should t get a pistol permit? God complex much? Grow up dude. It's a forum and people are here to state their opinions. You have yours and he has his now don't get all pissy that he disagrees with you and gave you a bit of lip back.
Honestly this is the 3rd or 4th guy that has pointed out your 100% negative on anyone without a 100% perfect record getting a permit. Keep in mind this was 30 years ago!! I'm sure mistakes are forgiven.

OP good luck my friend and keep me updated as I think you have a good shot!!
I never said that he should not get a permit. I said that no matter how many hoops he jumps through or "certificates" he gets, the judge can look at it and just say "nah". The decision would not be arbitrary and capricious, which it must be to challenge it, because it is based on his own past criminal record. Someone thinking someone is "negative" just because I don't pump sunshine up their ass is the one with the problem, They are the ones who cannot handle getting news they might not like. Would it be better if everyone who came here with a past criminal history was told "absolutely!!! go for it!!! you're a sure thing!! I'd start buying guns now if I were you!!" What porpoise would that serve? As said, this is not the place for sunshine and roses. It is the place for true and accurate information. He's going to have a tough time. I never said however that I don't think he should have a permit. It makes no difference to me. But when the ruling comes down, he will not have the ability to "take it ass far as it needs to go" because the law says the ruling must have been arbitrary and capricious. Those are the facts of life, whether it's what he wanted to hear or not.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You guys who come here for information and to share your experiences with the process don't let guys like him stop or discourage you. If Iisten to guys like him I would be living in a cardboard box on the side of the road. Just because I don't take shit from you doesn't make me a hot head. Pm me and put your money where your mouth is. I'm 100% sure you are just surrounded by positive successful people.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'll keep those of you updated who so wish. As far as smithy ... I'm not interested in your opinion. Until you walk in my shoes don't assume you know my situation.

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
You guys who come here for information and to share your experiences with the process don't let guys like him stop or discourage you. If Iisten to guys like him I would be living in a cardboard box on the side of the road. Just because I don't take shit from you doesn't make me a hot head. Pm me and put your money where your mouth is. I'm 100% sure you are just surrounded by positive successful people.
Good for you bro!! Good luck and carry on. 30 years without issue is a long time. They can hold it against you but it's unlikely they will. Just make sure you disclose it and submit the paperwork required like disposition and certificate or relief. Also don't be afraid to appeal the decision. Many times people get denied and appeal then get approved. Most times they think you won't appeal. Good luck brother and glad you didn't let this hold you back in life!!

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
Given that the OP says he has the time and money to see this through, I am reasonably certain he will receive his permit - the only question is how much money and time he will have to sink into it. I absolutely disagree with Smitty's assertion that the OP has no recourse unless the licensing officer's decision is arbitrary and capricious.

In fact, I'm willing to bet a 50 cal ammo can full of 22LR that the OP will get his permit from his initial application. Anyone want to take me up on that bet?

Reactions: Saltwater60

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thank you. I have 2 Attorney s working on it. I will appeal it if need be and that nonsense about they have the final word has no clue as to how our system works.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts