New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've had my pistol permit for over 20 years and now my wife is applying to get hers. We took the class with FTWNY and she is stuck on the reason to conceal carry. The trainer said to make it personal. I don't understand what's more personal than personal protection, however we were advised not to put that.
When I handed mine in all I said was "personal protection".

Does anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
I agree with you, you should not have to write a reason. I also believe the court will rule that nobody will need to show "cause" anymore. What I do stress in class, is that many counties still make people show cause as the current law requires. If you take our online class, I email you 5 questions to answer, if you take the in-person class, I request you email me for the 5 questions. Once you email me back the answers to the questions, I will write the reason for you. Super easy, no need to think about writing a reason as I do it for all of my students.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Late to the party, but my two cents:

"For all lawful purposes."

I've heard all sorts of advice on this one. LEOs have told me "self defense" is bad but "personal protection" is fine. I've seen other accounts that say putting anything on there can be construed as reason for a restricted permit. That is, if you put 'hunting' then they may put a restriction on the license that reserves it for sporting activities only.

This is all hearsay, mind you. For me, I put "To carry for all lawful purposes" and was granted full carry.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
If you want to receive a "Restricted Permit" in most counties, "All Lawful Purposes" will help you achieve that goal. When it comes to counties that do require a personal reason, like Erie County, which this thread is about, this is very bad advice.

Some counties do allow a generic reason like "All lawful purposes" and I believe soon, after the Supreme Court ruling is released, no county can require a reason. But as of today, NY Law and Erie county requires you show cause.

Late to the party, but my two cents:

"For all lawful purposes."

I've heard all sorts of advice on this one. LEOs have told me "self defense" is bad but "personal protection" is fine. I've seen other accounts that say putting anything on there can be construed as reason for a restricted permit. That is, if you put 'hunting' then they may put a restriction on the license that reserves it for sporting activities only.

This is all hearsay, mind you. For me, I put "To carry for all lawful purposes" and was granted full carry.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I agree with you, you should not have to write a reason. I also believe the court will rule that nobody will need to show "cause" anymore. What I do stress in class, is that many counties still make people show cause as the current law requires. If you take our online class, I email you 5 questions to answer, if you take the in-person class, I request you email me for the 5 questions. Once you email me back the answers to the questions, I will write the reason for you. Super easy, no need to think about writing a reason as I do it for all of my students.
Thank you for the help, Her permit has been handed in. Now we wait.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts