New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
14,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
anyone know where to go to get started in rappelling in the hudson valley area?

·
Registered
14,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ya know, i figured if anyone was going to know it was him... but figured id throw a thread up for discussion purposes.

·
Registered
14,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
lol... well, ive done a little free climbing in my younger years (smaller 30-40' cliffs) while hiking through the catskills... right now, i want to do the rappelling, im nursing tendonitis in my left elbow and i tried some climbing the other day at home (i have a climbing rope i use for exercising thats about 20') and my elbow wasnt having it... not sure if it would hold out for the rappelling just yet, but im starting my home work.

have you ever done it?

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
I did a lot of free climbing when I was younger also. You never realize how close to death you were till you get older. I would do some repelling but would need to loose 30lbs before I attempted to climb lol! I'm feeling old lately, changed the hubs on my expedition last week and I was sore for three days.

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
lol... well, ive done a little free climbing in my younger years (smaller 30-40' cliffs) while hiking through the catskills... right now, i want to do the rappelling, im nursing tendonitis in my left elbow and i tried some climbing the other day at home (i have a climbing rope i use for exercising thats about 20') and my elbow wasnt having it... not sure if it would hold out for the rappelling just yet, but im starting my home work.

have you ever done it?
I did it once. It was an incredible experience. Have a significant fear of heights but always wanted to do it. Was rolling through a local park a few years back when I saw a dude teaching his folks. He was a guide out west and his folks were coming to see him in a few weeks, so he gave them some lessons while he was home. Convinced him to show me the ropes, so to speak. Got the full monty on anchors, knots, attachments and dropped down a 80 foot cliff. It was awesome, and helped me conquer my fear to some extent. I would do it again in the right situation, but never aggressively pursued the sport.

·
Registered
14,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
where i grew up in the sticks all we had was the woods, no playgrounds. so mountain climbing, rock climbing, cliff diving (lost of mountain creeks with awesome swimming holes), rock hopping, all sorts of awesome adventurous stuff. ah, the good ole days.

i enjoy the thrill of heights, although older and more reserved now (i realize im not immortal anymore ;) ).

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
where i grew up in the sticks all we had was the woods, no playgrounds. so mountain climbing, rock climbing, cliff diving (lost of mountain creeks with awesome swimming holes), rock hopping, all sorts of awesome adventurous stuff. ah, the good ole days.

i enjoy the thrill of heights, although older and more reserved now (i realize im not immortal anymore ;) ).
Yeah, me too. Fond memories of the first time I jumped off a cliff into a deep stream. I did it again last summer with my oldest son and got the same feeling.

·
Registered
14,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i still get to do stuff like that too, and when my little guys are bigger I will with them. i still run through the woods on my atv like a lunatic and thats a lot of fun. I was always a bit of a thrill seeker, and while older and more cautious, i still have that streak in me.

·
Registered
14,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Alright buell, where are ya ? I know I could just send you a text but I'm hoping this thread main motivate others to want to do something like this.

·
Registered
5,168 Posts
I did some repelling in Colorado when I was in the Army. Fun times, but nothing beats jumping out of planes and helicopters! :)

·
Registered
14,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
my cousin is an airborne ranger (retired colonel too), i remember when he went to desert storm, i wrote him letters and he told me about the stuff he was doing (jumping out of planes, helicopters, fast roping, rapelling, etc... I didnt have the mind for the military when I was 18 as I was set on being a cop, degree in cj and all that too... life put me on a different path though. but, around 10 years ago it finally hit me, and I wish I would have joined the army like my pops, uncles, cousin, etc...

·
Registered
14,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If you don't bathe for, oh say, a week or so, you can be real good at repelling.
Robin Geruch
damn auto correct... RAPPELLING....i thought it looked wrong, but i was typing from my phone and just let it go. funny as my post #5 made from the pc i had it right... i gotta pay better attention. thanks for pointing that out robin. ;)

·
Registered
16,118 Posts
One of the instructors that I had when I recently went zip lining teaches climbing at Rock and Snow in New Paltz. His name was Paul.

·
Registered
14,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ill be doing more homework on this, im still waiting for a free weekend to set up a range day for us downstaters... and perhaps we could get a rappelling day too for some of us.

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
Well, I used to climb, from early '85, to early '88 in Kenya when I worked there. Rappelling, or as the Brits call it "abseiling", is just one way to get down from a route, if a safer, walk-down egress is not to be found. I crashed and burned in '88 (spent 1 year in a wheelchair), while going "up" - bad day with too much macho and too much stupid.

I still watch climbing videos on Amazon, and long for those days of ultimate freedom and dependence on your own abilities "at the sharp end of the stick". There is nothing like leading a thin, exposed route on a big wall, with long free drops below you.

I never free climbed, except for some short "bouldering" problems.

My advise - learn to climb - there is nothing like it, except maybe being shot at. When you get to the harder routes, you find a freedom of fluid movement coupled with the ability to control abject fear of falling and being a grease spot. The exhilaration when you're done is not easy to explain, but it beats anything I've ever done, before or since. I did it once more after I was walking again, but not now - I'd be more of a danger to my partner than a help.

Rappelling for the sake of rappelling will make no sense once you start to lead routes.

My $0.02 after over 25 years of reflecting on it - YMMV.

·
Registered
14,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
prambo, i understand that thrill you are talking about. I think most people can experience it when they do something that most people dont, and you run that fine line between exhilaration and possible death.

i experienced it during every roadrace I entered (have a wall full of trophies too). its that thrill in taking a risk, one race there was a guy in the pits that was talking smack about how he was going to smoke me on the track. this was at VIR in VA, and it was my first time at this track, and he had countless laps around the place. I was also on shagged tires, and he had new rubber. I was racing on a GSXR600 and this was a national weekend so all the fastest guys from the country were there (these are the guys that you see racing in the AMA races on tv with the big dogs). I was pretty fast, and at the club level I was a top 5 racer in a typical pack of 40-50 racers. some weekends id be on top of the podium, and others just off of it) but the flag dropped and i was 2nd going into turn one and he was further back. Then the real fast guys (big sponsors, built bikes, best tires, etc...) started picking me off and I was back around 8th. We head out onto the long main straight approaching hitting about 160mph or so on the 600's, and he is drafting me and he starts sneaking up the inside.

Now keep in mind that we are going about 160mph, on motorcycles, and there is a kink on the main straight that you hold it wide open around, and now a guy on another bike is inches away passing me on the inside. So, he has the inside line, but i hold him off on the brakes and I lead that entire next lap. We head out onto the main straight again and he makes the same move but this time he locks his position in a bit firmer and i cant shut him out so we race past the tree (there is a tree at the kink) and hes making his move, i try to outbrake him but we are too deep, so i just lean into the turn with knee on the ground, and my shoulder, and elbow resting on his bike (as we both have our knees on the ground and we are going through turn 1 as fast as the tires will allow us to) my head was hanging so low that it was right next to his front tire. with my body pressed against his bike he couldnt stand it up and get on the gas again until i got off of him, and the turn 2 was a left hand turn so i had the inside line and held him off. after that i never saw him the rest of the race and i learned afterwards that he ran off track trying to catch me again. that was just one of many exhilarating stories from racing that i felt on that ragged edge because if we had crashed it would have been very bad news for us.

thats me at VIR in T4.

this is me too at 120mph my first year of racing...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts