New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 114 Posts

· Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was a member at the ardsley range untill it got shut down and am now looking for a new range to shoot at in either the nyc area or someplace not that far away. I would use blue mountain but the RO's there tend to always bother you! Does anyone have sugesstions on where I can go shooting?

· Registered
5,168 Posts
The Bayonne PBA runs a simple but hassle free range. I use it to test out my handgun reloads. No questions asked and no one will bother you unless you cause an unsafe conditition. Just lock your unloaded gun in a case in your trunk and you'll be fine. $15 per hour.

Caso's Gun-A-Rama, Inc.

· Registered
160 Posts
Westside Rifle & Pistol Range, NY NY
Coyne Park Rifle and Pistol Range, Yonkers NY
RT Smoke & Gun Shop, Mt. Vernon NY
Mt. Vernon Shooting Center, Mt. Vernon NY
Blue Line Tactical, Elmsford NY
Master Class Shooters Supplies, Monroe NY
Davis Shooting Sports, Goshen, NY
C.B.

· Registered
6,619 Posts
I used to go to WCPRRL, too. Since I'm in southern Westchester, I'm going to check out:

Blue line Tactical
RT Smoke & Gun

I'd like to join a range where I can pay my dues and not be bothered with hourly rates. I've got no idea which, if any, I'll join. I don't think either of the aforementioned two is open yet.

· Registered
1,230 Posts
Westside Rifle & Pistol Range, NY NY
Coyne Park Rifle and Pistol Range, Yonkers NY
RT Smoke & Gun Shop, Mt. Vernon NY
Mt. Vernon Shooting Center, Mt. Vernon NY
Blue Line Tactical, Elmsford NY
Master Class Shooters Supplies, Monroe NY
Davis Shooting Sports, Goshen, NY
C.B.
I love master class,
Safe place to shoot with no one up your butt once they see your a competent shooter. Some days are quieter then others there

· Registered
5,168 Posts
Last time this topic came up, the discussion was deleted, so I'll avoid that. Your comfort level is what matters. It is not against the law in NJ to fire your pistols at an approved range as long as you transport them properly to the range and back without non-incidental stops in between. I've shot numerous times at the Bayonne range with many NYC residents.

· Registered
160 Posts
Blue Line Tactical's best deal is 3 year membership for $1000, no range fees.
RT Smoke & Gun Shop is $480 a year, $10 an hour fee.
Should be open in a month, Ardsley members that buy 2015 membership get 2014 membership free.
Mt. Vernon Shooting Center is $200 a year, no range fees.
$200 initiation fee waved for Ardsley members.
Master Class is $17 an hour, 45 minute ride from Ardsley, NY
Davis Shooting Sports $22.50 an hour, 1 hour ride from Ardsley, NY
C.B.

· Registered
160 Posts
Mt. Vernon Shooting Center, not much to it.
It's a 50 foot pistol range which has been open since the 70's.
No magnum loads, .22 rifles allowed and shotgun slugs on rare occasions.
At this time it is only open 3 days a week.
They plan to open more often come the fall.
C.B.

· Registered
321 Posts
I like Blue Mountain. $11 an hr for pistol or small bore, $8 w/ Westchester pass. Range officer Walt is great and knowledgable. The range officers at the pistol range keep a close eye on newcomers but once they observe that you are following safe practices, they leave you alone. I've been going there for two years from Cold Spring-Fishkill area. I wish Dutchess or Putnam had this type of county-sponsored public range.

· Registered
160 Posts
I like Blue Mountain Sports Center.
It's not expensive and if not crowded you can stay as long as your ammo lasts.
At times I wish I could shoot at a closer target.
I know if I can get hit the X ring at 15 yards I should be able to hit it at 7 yards.
I just want to be able to see tighter groups at 7 yards.
Walt is very accommodating but I don't know if they would move a target closer than the first burm.
At the Sig Sauer Academy I was told that most gunfights occur at 3 yards in 3 seconds with 3 rounds.
C.B.

· Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I agree with you completely on the closer target issue. Hitting the target at blue mountain is no problem but being able to move the target closer makes for better shooting in my opinion. It's a pain to have to wait and call a seize fire to see how well you've shot it's one of the reasons I'm a fan of those ranges that allow you to bring the target back and forth when you like.

1 - 20 of 114 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.