New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
If you can tolerate the possibility of an idiot around you, go to Alabama Swamps.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
I needed practice with my new 20 gauge. So, I knicked some apples from my wife and made some applesauce at a nearby state forest.
Where can you do this? Can a person legally go into a state forest and start shooting at whatever they like (I mean some targets you bring and then carry home, or a tree stump something--obviously, not animals or people)?

·
Registered
791 Posts
Where can you do this? Can a person legally go into a state forest and start shooting at whatever they like (I mean some targets you bring and then carry home, or a tree stump something--obviously, not animals or people)?
You can shoot in any State forest, forest preserve or MUA where shooting is not explicitly prohibited by notice, local law or location based policy. You also cannot shoot along some specific hiking trails, all established camping areas and places where people camp informally. You have to follow state regulations for discharging fire arms. Having the right topography for safe shooting also helps. Just don't be stupid about it. I don't walk around the woods randomly shooting stuff. That would be inane. Local shooters usually know where to go.

Breakable target like bottles or clay pigeons are a no no. You can't shoot trees to other scenery. You can shoot paper targets as long as you clean up. I usually bring metal targets to plink. I've also been known to shoot paper plates. But, I shot apples this time.

·
Registered
55 Posts
happy to be part of a crew that heads to Alabama swamps so there's a bunch of responsible gun lovers there....
I hope I didn't come across as EVERYONE shooting at the swamps is irresponsible... just that it's possible you could be close to someone who doesn't follow safety rules as well as you'd like!

·
Registered
79 Posts
I hope I didn't come across as EVERYONE shooting at the swamps is irresponsible... just that it's possible you could be close to someone who doesn't follow safety rules as well as you'd like!
Sometimes it's not even the shooters. #1 is my favorite (the right-most one?) and while shooting there with friends and co-workers, three hunters come out FROM BEHIND the berm to walk down the treeline. They acted like that had not a care in the world as two of us were shooting downrange at the time.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I looked at the DEC website to see if it's legal to take a shotgun into the woods during bow season... didn't see anything that prohibits that, unless you're actually bowhunting. I need to do some sighting in with my turkey gun - turkey opens the 15th here.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I looked at the DEC website to see if it's legal to take a shotgun into the woods during bow season... didn't see anything that prohibits that, unless you're actually bowhunting. I need to do some sighting in with my turkey gun - turkey opens the 15th here.
Of course it's legal to carry a shotgun during bow season. It's also squirrel, rabbit, ruffed grouse, pheasant, woodcock and turkey season.

I bumped into a couple of bow hunters this morning in Vernooy Kill State forest while I was hunting squirrels with my 22. They made a lot of noise. I wonder if they got any deer.

I love to take a turkey, but I haven't seen any sight of turkey. I've been in the woods since Sept 1. I have an old Iver Johnson Champion full-choke 12 GA for the job. But, I prefer the 20 GA for other game.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Sometimes it's not even the shooters. #1 is my favorite (the right-most one?) and while shooting there with friends and co-workers, three hunters come out FROM BEHIND the berm to walk down the treeline. They acted like that had not a care in the world as two of us were shooting downrange at the time.
I had that exact thing happen when I was there last December. My thought was, "you idiots, just because you are wearing orange doesn't make you bullet proof."

That same day, we had stopped shooting on the berm we were at and were walking down to change targets. That was when some idiot next to us started shooting at the next very close berm over from us. That was the first time I have ever heard a bullet zip by. My Dad (a vietnam vet) was out with us at the time. His response was "I've been shot at by better people than these a**holes."

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.