New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my son to the range today. We were shooting our Ruger 10/22 exclusively because my son doesn't have his pistol permit.

Next to us was a group of three shooting steel plates. I was watching them down the plates with .45, .40, 9mm, and .380. Counting rounds being sent downrange I realized they were well above the NYS handgun mag limit of 10. I walked over and asked what they were shooting? They eagerly said, Sig Sauer 229, in .40 and a couple of others I just can't remember. I asked how many rnds for the Sig 229 mag. They said they had the 12 rnder with them. They mentioned one of the other guns and it had a 15 rnd mag. The one guy said the Sig was his duty issued piece. I said, 'must be nice to be special'. He asked if I wanted to shoot any of them. I enthusiastically said sure. Went to get my .40 S & W ammo and he said, 'no worry, I've got plenty here. All Dept paid for'. That Sig 229 shot very very nice. Easy sight acquisition, quick recovery, low recoil......AND 12 FREAKIN' ROUNDS!!! Jealous didn't begin to describe my feelings.

Got to chatting about unSAFE, Cuomo, Astorino, and pre-SAFE laws. This cop said unSAFE was a joke. He personally has stopped guys with 15 rnd and even 30 rnd mags in their possession. He said he's asked them a couple Q's and determined (in his opinion of course) that they were decent and cool guys, told them to carry on and travel safe. No lecture, no arrest, no confiscation, just a real guy. He said most of the LEO's in his area (Nassau & Suffolk Cty) were of the same feelings about Cuomo & the entire unSAFE Act. He will be voting Astorino as are most of the other LEO's he knows.

Great day at the range, capped by a great introduction to a member of the downstate LE community.

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Forgot to mention, the LEO said my son could shoot his duty piece. I said he didn't have a permit, he said that wasn't a problem with him. I declined the offer. Too many 'electric/digital eyes' all around the range. ;) No need to get in trouble with the club.

·
Registered
9,902 Posts
I totally like the outcome and the attitudes of all involved. People have to use mental camouflage or get their butts in a bind.

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
THAT sounds like a GREAT day! It's always good to hear that not all LEOs are going to fall in lockstep with cumho!
I know that most LEOs I know have said EF cumho and his SAFE act!! They fully understand how this is going down, right from the passing in the middle of the night, to the fact that this governor thinks he is some kind of king!!

FUAC!!! You useless POS!!!

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
How old is your son if you don't mind me asking?

·
Registered
5,168 Posts
When I posted that I honestly didn't even know that non-permitted persons were prohibited from legally firing my handgun, it was promptly deleted. ;) Many a friendly face has tried out my "gear" and I will never stop allowing them to do so.

·
Registered
9,136 Posts
When I posted that I honestly didn't even know that non-permitted persons were prohibited from legally firing my handgun, it was promptly deleted. ;) Many a friendly face has tried out my "gear" and I will never stop allowing them to do so.
This is actually very important. Any clue how many gun laws are written in NY State? Any idea how many the regular cop knows? Yeah.

Most cops could care two ****s about the SAFE Act. Most LE that I know have either no knowledge or very little when it comes to this stuff.

They go to the range the same as us and for the same reasons.

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
Heaven forbid someone actually get a chance to try shooing a pistol before getting their permit and buying one. If your sone was 10 years younger I believe he would have been legally allowed to. Isn't that part of the NYS handgun laws?
Under 21 years old can shoot handguns at a range. I think the range might have to be incorporated, but don't know how to look that up and don't really care. My son has been shooting my pistols since I got my license 2 years ago, and he will be putting in for his permit a few months before he turns 21 if they let him.

·
Registered
8,391 Posts
I asked a cop about the Safe act , and he said he wasn't sure about it they have to many other things to be dealing with . IAsked him if he was ever briefed on the new laws and he no , His Dept was never briefed on the SAFE Act , and he could care less about it.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
My in law and his superior knows of no illegal firearms in his county. FUAC.

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
Most cops are good level headed people. It's the 10 percent we have to worry about. Hell just one can and will ruin your life if given the opportunity.

Just one is too much for me to put any trust into cops I do not know.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Good stuff master. I have yet to meet a leo that is an anti and i have met plenty of them through my b.i.l

·
Registered
340 Posts
Proof that not all LEOs are jackasses. They get such a bad rep when most of them are just average men and women just like us, except that they answered a calling to try and make us safer and catch those who do wrong.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts