New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After nearly 6 years, I'm finally taking my wife to the range tomorrow. We tried last week but had to turn around to pick one of the kids up at school (sick). I'm a little nervous. She's fired a few guns in the past, but nothing like this. Bringing a two rifles and 3 handguns. Wish me luck!

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
Got 22's? I always try to limit first-timers to 22's, keeps from scaring them off. If they want to step up to larger caliber I'll load one round at a time for them....some like it, some don't and just stay with the small stuff. Have fun!!!!

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Be smart , start off with the lightest loads possible to get her comfortable with a fire arm, If you have 22 thats the best. after there 3 rd or 4th range is it they are ready to move up to a nine.

A high caliber,high recoils is normally not fun for a new shooter. Bring your target in close and let her be a great shot.

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
,22 is the best for the newbs. Keep the paper close and monitor the safety rules like a hawk.

·
Registered
195 Posts
NO!! Don't do it!! :)

If she likes it as much as my wife your ammo costs will triple at least!!

I hope you both have a great day at the range.

·
Registered
5,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm going to start her on my single shot Winchester .22 and judge where to go from there. The other rifle is for me to check zero for hunting, but I'm hoping to move her onto at least one handgun tomorrow. Thankfully it's in PA so she can shoot handguns legally without worry. She's not touching my 1911 unless she shows some real skill.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Good luck and have fun. I'm still trying to convince mine to start shooting. I've had her friends over shooting but she wouldn't even touch the guns. At least she let me put my glass faced gun cabinet in the living room.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
I'm going to start her on my single shot Winchester .22 and judge where to go from there. The other rifle is for me to check zero for hunting, but I'm hoping to move her onto at least one handgun tomorrow. Thankfully it's in PA so she can shoot handguns legally without worry. She's not touching my 1911 unless she shows some real skill.
Invest in a 22 or a 22 conversion, they are great for introducing new shooters to pistols

·
Registered
5,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well she did great. I was more than surprised. She stayed well within a plum-sized circle with the .22 at 25 yards for 50 rounds, then asked to try my 7.62x39 AR. Two shots with that, no problem with the recoil but she did miss the target at 50 yards. After that we moved on to the pistol range for some .38, .45 and 9mm. She didn't like the revolver or the 9mm (Glock 26), but LOVED the 1911. I'm pretty sure I have her blessing on getting picking up another one soon. I was pleasantly surprised with how well she handled the handguns, even the ones she didn't like. We'll definitely be doing this more often when our days off line up, which unfortunately isn't often.

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
I was training a classmate of mine in Alabama, she had never fired a handgun before. I. Started her out with a 9mm and had a 45 for he to try as well. She absolutely hated the rental glock and the other rental 9s they had, and loved the 1911. Well I spent all afternoon shooting the 9mm as she. Shot my 45.

·
Registered
5,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The 1911 design really does eat up the recoil of the .45 ACP, but I still think it is more than the 9mm. Glocks are "snappy" though, especially the 26. I'll let her try my S&W next time to see if she likes it better.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts