New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you do when you run out of room to list your pistols on the back of the paper permit given in Albany County. I was at the clerks office and she mentioned a consolidation form to fill out that I have to get online but I couldnt find it on the County website and since the clerks office is made up of such hardworking helpful individuals thats all the info they gave me

·
Registered
664 Posts
When mine was paper they just gave me another sheet that was the same size as my permit with my # on it. Now it's plastic they just give you another card. Or if your gunner they order a box with your name on it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
No plastic in Albany. I don't have anything written on the back. I have a ream of paper in my pocket because I have to carry all my amendments around.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They told me to file and keep those papers at home. They said to fill the lines on the back up. Where did you read you have to carry those around that makes no sense at all

·
Registered
36 Posts
It's been over 10 years and I'm sure I was told that I needed to keep the amendments with the guns. Since I change out regularly and also instruct, I keep them with me.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I just took the safety course tonight and they said that your permit as well as any amendments for the gun you have on you must be carried with you...

·
I kill deer... and I like it
1,336 Posts
Dang Mike already beat me to the Gunner comment.

·
Registered
165 Posts
What bothers me about several of the above posts is this scenario, which at this point is a fictional, what if, hypothetical case.

I'm from Cortland County, all i need with me is the little plastic card. I'm tooling along in the county of your choice, and I'm pulled over by LE for whatever or no reason, ( it has happened). I produce my Cortland County permit and present it as requested. I then get asked to produce the paper amendments as some of you have stated that you have to carry with you. Next thing I'm cited for not following the rules of that particular county, cuffed, firearm confiscated, etc. Again this is a hypothetical scenario, has not happened to me.

What I would like to know is this. Has anyone ever had a similar situation happen to them? Is there any laws on the book that would preclude such an occurrence?

·
Registered
664 Posts
What bothers me about several of the above posts is this scenario, which at this point is a fictional, what if, hypothetical case.

I'm from Cortland County, all i need with me is the little plastic card. I'm tooling along in the county of your choice, and I'm pulled over by LE for whatever or no reason, ( it has happened). I produce my Cortland County permit and present it as requested. I then get asked to produce the paper amendments as some of you have stated that you have to carry with you. Next thing I'm cited for not following the rules of that particular county, cuffed, firearm confiscated, etc. Again this is a hypothetical scenario, has not happened to me.

What I would like to know is this. Has anyone ever had a similar situation happen to them? Is there any laws on the book that would preclude such an occurrence?
If your permit is plastic you won't have paper amendments they will be listed on your plastic. When you run out of room on card one you get another one. Just make sure the gun you are carrying is on the permit you have with you.

·
Registered
664 Posts

Just to be clear he is talking about running out of room on his permit which is still made of paper , not plastic which a lot of counties have gone to and has run out of room on the back. Amendments are then added to an additional sheet which is kept with the permit.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
I have a plastic permit and have since bought 3 guns since getting my permit. None of which are listed on the back of the permit. Someone here said to stick a blank label to my permit and just write them in. Is this really how it works? I dont have any amendment stuff just the coupons that came in the mail which the gun shop took

·
Registered
165 Posts
Sorry, my mistake, the way I read what berettagrl and klarowe wrote, it sounded like they carried the actual ammendment that you (or at least I in Cortland County) get when we add a firearm, in addition to our little piece of plastic that has all our guns listed. Also didn't mean to thread jack, just the way the comments were going, it got me to thinking, and it seamed an appropriate question at the time.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I have a plastic permit and have since bought 3 guns since getting my permit. None of which are listed on the back of the permit. Someone here said to stick a blank label to my permit and just write them in. Is this really how it works? I dont have any amendment stuff just the coupons that came in the mail which the gun shop took
I don't know how your county works but something isn't right there. I wouldn't be carrying a gun not listed on my permit and writing it in yourself will not end well if you get stopped. I would talk to someone ASAP to get that fixed.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
I don't know how your county works but something isn't right there. I wouldn't be carrying a gun not listed on my permit and writing it in yourself will not end well if you get stopped. I would talk to someone ASAP to get that fixed.
Yea I didn't think that sounded right. I'm in saratoga county. I figured we had plastic cards for a reason so they can print on it and not have stuff hand written. They have never said anything to me about getting a new card or anything when I'm filling out the amendment sheet at the sheriffs office either.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Sorry, my mistake, the way I read what berettagrl and klarowe wrote, it sounded like they carried the actual ammendment that you (or at least I in Cortland County) get when we add a firearm, in addition to our little piece of plastic that has all our guns listed. Also didn't mean to thread jack, just the way the comments were going, it got me to thinking, and it seamed an appropriate question at the time.
That's the great thing about this site. If you have a question don't be afraid to ask. Someone on here will try and give you an answer.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just to be clear he is talking about running out of room on his permit which is still made of paper , not plastic which a lot of counties have gone to and has run out of room on the back. Amendments are then added to an additional sheet which is kept with the permit.
The additional sheet is what i asked about and they had no idea what i was talking about

·
Registered
664 Posts
The additional sheet is what i asked about and they had no idea what i was talking about
Hopefully someone from your county has gone through this and can chime in on what happened. The clerk in your county has to know what to do when someone runs out of room.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hopefully someone from your county has gone through this and can chime in on what happened. The clerk in your county has to know what to do when someone runs out of room.
One would think however they are pretty stupid there. So far every amendment (five currently) i've dropped off has been signed by my judge in 3 days and it takes the clerks office 7-10 days to process it an mail me my letter. When i walk in there they are all sitting there doing nothing like on playing on their cell phone and one time the lady was doing suduku and crossword puzzles. such a waste of my tax dollars

1 - 20 of 21 Posts