New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
I'm wondering if the caps are still discharging after the bullet goes through the relatively short coil, if they are, it's wasting a lot of the power creating a magnetic field that has no effect on the bullet.

I'd like to build one of these, but I really don't feel like dumping a few hundred bucks on a kinda silly project like this. I might have enough junk laying around to make a tiny one though.

Also, +1 for the portal song.

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
i wonder if a smaller/lighter projectile would have more hitting power. still cool though.
It should. If you could get it to go faster it would anyway. Increasing velocity has a bigger effect on kinetic energy than mass. Of course less mass means less inertia.

Yeah, I'm an engineering nerd.

·
Registered
287 Posts
energy in=energy out, so it will have a similar muzzle energy assuming that the transfer of magnetic energy to kinetic energy doesn't loose efficiency with the weight change(which it could due to what I said in my last post).

Some quick rough calcs say that he's close to a .22lr in energy(~2/3ish). But it does look like he's using a hugely too heavy projectile.

Edit: looks like my math my be a bit optimistic, I need to do a bit more research.

·
Registered
275 Posts
LOL at 1:06 the voltage is 666.

This is pretty cool. Perhaps with alot of research the technology could be adavnaced enough to give it the same power as a rifle bullet, kind of like the guns in the Mass Effect videogame.

·
Registered
7,700 Posts
needs more power! should stick a 14,000 volt oil burner transformer on it!

G

·
The projectile's size and material are dictated by the electromagnetic principles being applied in this design.

The coil is a single discharge type (as opposed to a series of coils that fire in sequence each in turn adding to the acceleration) therefor it requires that the projectile bridge the electromagnetic gap in the coil and be of sufficient cross sectional area to allow maximum magnetic saturation.

A smaller, lighter projectile would not work as well in this particular device.

Just sayin'…….

Oh, and there are more powerful "railguns":

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Where I ysed to work we built the capacitors for the Navy to use in their rail gun project ,,,, got to test them ...kinda scary ..... the hum was loud enough you couldn't hear someone speaking and when you discharged one you could feel the "thump" from it .... hehehehe and that was just one capacitor @ a time

·
Registered
591 Posts
If only there was more POWAH!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts