New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Head Fapper
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So after finding a really good deal on a Remington 700 SPS Tactical AAC-SD, I decided to get that to replace my base SPS Tactical. Based on the threaded barrel alone, the price difference at this point was worth it.

First I returned my old 700 completely back to stock to get ready for sale (already sold, thanks to NYF!). No pics of that since it's not that big of a deal.

So I picked up my new 700 from Firefly Firearms (Thanks again Bob!) earlier today, but had to do some running around and grab dinner w/ my brother before I could get back home and fiddle with the new rifle.

Completely stock, new 700 AAC-SD on top (bolt hasn't even been put in at this point), the AICS 1.5 on bottom.

First thing I did was remove the two allen screws that hold the bottom metal to the stock and action. They're 5/32 I believe.

Stock and bottom removed, left with barreled action and trigger group

Factory trigger (installed) compared to the Timney flat trigger. After hearing a lot of good reviews (even on this site), I decided to grab one since they're relatively cheap (compared to the Timney offerings for ARs, SCARs, and ACRs)

Width of the Timney trigger compared to factory X-Mark Pro

To remove the factory trigger, there's two pins you need to "remove". In reality, you only remove the front pin, and the rear stays in part way in order to hold the bolt release and spring. I effed up and took the pin out completely, but it isn't really a PITA to put back in, so you might as well just hammer it out if you don't have self control (like me). I viewed a video on YouTube in order to get step by step instructions since I hate reading them (especially when pics aren't 100% clear).

So here's a pic of the Timney installed in the receiver

To install the AICS, it's just as easy as removing the factory stock (maybe easier, really).
There's several screws that hold the skins to the actual aluminum stock. Remove all of those, as it makes it easier to properly torque the receiver to the action (53 INCH pounds). For these pics, I'll use the ones I took when I first did the swap on my old 700

So I now have it all installed, just waiting for my new scope base to come in since I wanted to go with steel instead of the aluminum I was using.

Here's how the trigger looks inside the stock.

I'll take a pic once I get the scope base here of the whole thing, though it won't look much different than my old 700 in the same stock.

·
Registered
466 Posts
So you replaced one 700 with another that is the same gun with threads at the end of the barrel? Doesnt seem worth it to me, living in NY where sound supressors can not be owned. What do you plan on attaching to those threads?

George

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
So you replaced one 700 with another that is the same gun with threads at the end of the barrel? Doesnt seem worth it to me, living in NY where sound supressors can not be owned. What do you plan on attaching to those threads?

George
A compensator most likely? I believe it's a different barrel twist as well for heavier grain bullets

·
Head Fapper
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

George
As JVG said, a compensator. Less felt recoil. I also don't plan on living in NY forever.
The different barrel twist will also be better for heavier weight bullets.

Also, you can not thread the barrel of the original 700 for less than the price difference between the two. I think ADCO charges over $100 to thread a barrel, whereas the price difference between a new 700 SPS-T and the AAC-SD version is only $40.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
The SPS-T has always had 1/10 rifling what does the AAC-SD have?

·
Head Fapper
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
They must have changed when the AAC unit came out. Back when I had my SPSV it was the 1/12 and the T had 1/10. George had one of the original SPST's and it also was 1/10. gotta love that marketing...

·
Registered
188 Posts
They must have changed when the AAC unit came out. Back when I had my SPSV it was the 1/12 and the T had 1/10. George had one of the original SPST's and it also was 1/10. gotta love that marketing...
I knew I wasn't crazy! I'm glad someone else noticed this.

·
Registered
466 Posts
My sps tactical had 1:10 twist like bpipe mentioned above. It must have been a recent change if they went to 1:12.

George

·
Head Fapper
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm assuming they just threaded the barrel of the older SPS-T for the AAC, then decided to pull a fast one and use the varmint barrel for the base SPS-T. Even the 1:12 isn't bad at all, I was shooting sub-MOA with it out to 300yds on 168gr and 175gr Federal GMM.

The way I look at it ois even without the barrel, the price difference more than makes up for the cost to thread a barrel.

EDIT: My 800th post. Woohoo.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Thank you for the info on this post I have the same rifle and I dont care for the trigger time for a change thank s..

·
Registered
121 Posts
I put the surefire muzzle brake on mine and I love it ,now when I visit down south I can try out the suppressors even though I cant buy one living in NY , still out on a stock but I like yours it looks nice,

·
Head Fapper
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I put the surefire muzzle brake on mine and I love it ,now when I visit down south I can try out the suppressors even though I cant buy one living in NY , still out on a stock but I like yours it looks nice,
Thank you.
I would like to know what your feedback on the trigger is, do you like the flat shoe?
So far I love it. I haven't shot it as much as I'd like to, but so far it feels great. I plan on getting rid of one of my AR triggers for the Geissele flat-blade triggers because I just really like the feeling of it. I'll try to describe it better once I shoot it more. The increased width makes the biggest difference I think, since I get a better feel of it on the pad of my trigger finger.
one nice lookin gun
Thank you sir.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts