New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not to far in the future I will most likely be moving out of the state of NY. When I move, do I still need to inform the NYS pistol permit personnel of the change of my new address or is it no longer applicable since I will not be living in NY state?

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
It's probably best to ask your county clerk but I believe Dieter is right.

·
Registered
9,137 Posts
In Wayne county when you get a new out of state drivers license the DMV notifies the pistol permit office and they send you a letter to tell you your permit is no longer valid. This is what happened to a friend of mine recently that moved out of state. Like jeep. said, ask your county clerk.

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
Is this true? What if you plan on visiting family when you come back?
Leave your guns at home because your permit isn't valid if you move away.

If it were me, I would just move and not worry about it with the understanding that the permit is no longer valid. What are they going to do to you?

·
Registered
25 Posts
My permit was issued in Livingston County. When I moved, I was told all I needed to do was update my address (which I did). I have since purchased new handguns here in FL and updated my NY permit (via the mail). Contact your county clerk.

·
I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,795 Posts
Here is my take on it. If you actually read article 400.00 it specifically says you must notify NYS of any address change. I want to say its within 10 days of moving. Now failing to comply with any part of article 400.00 is a misdemeanor per article 400.00. Moving out of the state does not automatically make your permit void regardless of who says it does. If you read AG opinons (I think its in there) and the case law (I know its in there not sure of case though) you cant OBTAIN a permit without being a NYS resident because the law does not allow for it. What that means is that the law does not have a process in place for non NYS residents to apply for a permit. NYS law also does not have a provision saying your permit is automatically terminated upon moving out of state

All that said a licensing officer can revoke your permit because of his discretionary powers granted to him through case law. Personally I would move out of state then notify your county. After notifying the county I would not surrender the permit until told to do so by the licensing officer since the clerks do not have the statutory authority to revoke your permit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts