New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a new Norinco Mak-90 from a dealer in New York about 15 years ago.
It has the clumsy thumhole stock and has had no changes made to it.

Legal in New York or Not ..???

Thanks ahead for the answer.

bosco

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Yes, legal in NY and you can do whatever you want with it provided you replace 5 parts with US made parts.

Though with MAK's there are two different types of receiver cuts, straight back and slanted back. To see which you have just take the thumbhole stock off and you will see if it is closer to a 90* cut or a 45* cut - if 90* it will accept any standard AK stamped furniture (with some fitting).

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Sprout, Thanks for the quick response..

bosco
No problem, I have one of these - damn fine shooting AK and well-built imo.

Before:

After: (I took the stain off the wood and stained it Red Oak and highglossed it - looks much better now)

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Wasn't about 15 years ago pretty close to pre~ban era anyway?
If it was purchased used 15 years ago, or sat new on a store shelf for a year, it's almost assuredly exempt isn't it?

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Wasn't about 15 years ago pretty close to pre~ban era anyway?
If it was purchased used 15 years ago, or sat new on a store shelf for a year, it's almost assuredly exempt isn't it?
All MAK-90's are pre-Assault Weapon Ban rifles - they were named in the 94' Federal Ban and could no longer be imported after the ban.

They were made from 1989-1994 and ceased importation that September.

Some came in prior to the import ban of 1989 in military configuration but were demilled and given the MAK-90 nomenclature - they were originally Type 56S - "S" for semi-automatic.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mak-90

MAK-90 stands for Modified AK, 1990 to comply with the 1990 import restrictions. I still have the thumbhole stock installed on mine and I like it better than the two piece set-up. Can't comment on NY laws as I am in Colorado.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts