New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does the mag capacity limit for hunting apply to bolt action rifles? I intend to start hunting this year with a Lee-Enfield series rifle with a 10 round mag. If I can't have the ten round capacity, would I be ok with sticking something under the follower to limit it to 5?

Thanks in advance and sorry if this is a bit of a dumb question. The DEC site was a little fuzzy on the matter.

· Registered
620 Posts
Yes, restricting mag cap is legal.

· Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just skimmed though the book quick... seems they only mention a limit on semi-auto's nothing on bolt actions...
that's the bit that confused me too..

· Registered
620 Posts
I pretty sure 5 rounds is the max cap. on all firearms when hunting.

· Registered
9,724 Posts
This is a pretty unclear area and many ask about this and I have yet to get a definitive answer even from DEC. I stay on the safe side and would limit the mag capacity to 5rds. I have yet to need more than one shot anyways. Just luck I guess. Speaking of that, I need to find a new rifle for hunting this year. LOL

· Registered
1,758 Posts
I don't believe that there is any magazine restriction on bol.t action rifles.

· Registered
4,955 Posts
I pretty sure 5 rounds is the max cap. on all firearms when hunting.
Not true. Semi-auto handguns are not capped at 5 rounds. Since revolvers hold 6, the 5-rd cap limit doesn't apply to those either. I happen to have a DEC officer in the family, and asked him to clear this one up about a year ago. Basically, Justin's statement is correct - the hunting cap limit is for semi-auto (long guns). If your pump action shotgun or bolt action rifle holds more than 5 rounds in the mag, that's fine. However, there is an exception...when you're out hunting waterfowl/birds, the cap limit is 3 rounds, period.

· Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not true. Semi-auto handguns are not capped at 5 rounds. Since revolvers hold 6, the 5-rd cap limit doesn't apply to those either. I happen to have a DEC officer in the family, and asked him to clear this one up about a year ago. Basically, Justin's statement is correct - the hunting cap limit is for semi-auto (long guns). If your pump action shotgun or bolt action rifle holds more than 5 rounds in the mag, that's fine. However, there is an exception...when you're out hunting waterfowl/birds, the cap limit is 3 rounds, period.
thanks for clearing that up.

· Registered
2,982 Posts
Does the mag capacity limit for hunting apply to bolt action rifles? I intend to start hunting this year with a Lee-Enfield series rifle with a 10 round mag. If I can't have the ten round capacity, would I be ok with sticking something under the follower to limit it to 5?

Thanks in advance and sorry if this is a bit of a dumb question. The DEC site was a little fuzzy on the matter.
You don't need a 5 round mag unless its an automatic...the bear will be on top of you before you can get 10 rounds off...he will probably take away your rifle and beat you with it.

· Super Moderator
3,276 Posts
From the DEC web site. Only autoloaders are limited to 6 rounds total.

It is illegal to hunt with:

a fully automatic firearm;
an autoloading firearm that holds more than 6 shells (except an autoloading pistol with a barrel length under 8 inches);
any firearm equipped with a silencer.

· Registered
7,787 Posts
what about Lever Action guns? does that come under the same rules as Bolt action?

· Registered
4,955 Posts
what about Lever Action guns? does that come under the same rules as Bolt action?
Correct, lever is not considered semi-auto. You must pull the lever to cycle the ammo rather than it being cycled automatically by another mechanism, so it's an extra step required before you pull the trigger. Cap limit is for semi-autos, but know the exceptions (for waterfowl/bird hunting, for example).

· Registered
1,100 Posts
i think the 3 round limit on waterfowl is on federal hands not dec

· Registered
3,216 Posts
i think the 3 round limit on waterfowl is on federal hands not dec
Yes it's a fed law but DEC are swore to fed law for waterfowl hunting and that 3 rd limit includes the 1 in the camber. So 2 in the tube and 1 in the chamber or 3 in the tube.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.