New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious about some of the questions on my NYS pistol permit application, any help is greatly appreciated.

1. The application asks for both my drivers license NYSID number, and license number. Im guessing the NYSID number would be my 9 digit "id" number on my license. Im wondering what the other number is that there asking for.

2. I dont understand what its asking for as "county of issue", whether its the county i got my license, or where i was living when i got it, or which county im applying for a ccw permit.

Thank You

· I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,805 Posts
I am going to assume ^ is right. Sounds like the other license number will be your pistol permit license number and your county of issue will be your county you live in which sounds like it will be filled out by your county. That way when they send it off to the state police they can have all that on file.

· Registered
1,653 Posts
Both replies are correct. With NY State forms, you start with your last name and fill across and down. It is confusing that some of the shaded area is for them and the rest is for you. Make sure you fill this out in black ink only!

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thank you everyone, also i printed the pistol app. from the ny state police website. On the website it says i would have to submit it to my county licensing department. Does anyone know what that is, im not sure if its my countys sheriff department, county clerk, town hall or what. P.S i live in ulster co., thank you

· Registered
368 Posts
Geez man, I googled it and here is part of the first entry on the googled page.. UC stands for Ulster County! Help yourself!

UC Sheriff Home > Criminal Division > Pistol License Unit
Criminal Division - Pistol License Unit
New Hours 2011
8:30 am - 3:00 pm
Questions or information: (845) 340-3639

· Registered
14,520 Posts
Both replies are correct. With NY State forms, you start with your last name and fill across and down. It is confusing that some of the shaded area is for them and the rest is for you. Make sure you fill this out in black ink only!
i filled that top part out by mistake when i first started my process years ago and had to get new papers.

· Registered
2,127 Posts
i filled that top part out by mistake when i first started my process years ago and had to get new papers.
Yup. Me too!
If I remember correctly, in my county, you had to have 2...And they were on heavy duty paper. When I realized I had screwed up and they were on heavy paper, I tried to copy the other one that was still blank and loaded the copier with resume paper. Clerk spotted it and it didnt fly. Had to do em all over again! New review date and everything. Set me back another month...

· Registered
876 Posts
thank you everyone, also i printed the pistol app. from the ny state police website. On the website it says i would have to submit it to my county licensing department. Does anyone know what that is, im not sure if its my countys sheriff department, county clerk, town hall or what. P.S i live in ulster co., thank you
Lightor is correct. Start with your last name. Do not fill out any boxes above that. Official use only.

· Registered
4,105 Posts
I looked at the application you can print from the NY State police site that you are referring to. I don't even know why they have that there, because it is largely incomplete. You'll need to go to the Sherrif's office pistol division and pick up the whole application packet which includes the reference forms, fingerprint cards, etc. I think the packet will cost you $5 (last I knew)

· Banned
105 Posts
Sorry this is a tad off topic but could not find the info and probably just did not look in the right place.

I am from Delaware and curious of gun laws in other states.

What are some of the weird ones in NY like is there a mag capacity ban? Also what do you have to do to get a license to carry a firearm in NY?

IN anyone is curious in Delware we are a MAY issue state. I do say that most people who apply get them, but its expensive as hell in Delaware compared to say PA ( have a pulse, be legal and pay $20).

We have to take a firearms concealled carry class $150-$350

2 passport size photos for CCDW ( concealled carry deadly weapon) $10 at least

Fingerprinting $60

Run an ad in the Newspaper saying that you plan to apply for a ccdw with your name and address. costs about $75 for most De residents. There are a few zipcodes that can pay a lower fee and I was one of them. I also think this should not be allowed.

The actual ccdw is 3 years and costs $67 I think it was

You also have to find five people who live in the county you do that basically will fill out a form saying you are a good person and should be able to carry a gun. I completly disagree with this and think it should be unconstitutional

· Registered
1,275 Posts
Lightor is correct. Start with your last name. Do not fill out any boxes above that. Official use only.
Whats interesting about the boxes above is if you follow the direction they hand you it says to fill in boxes with only one letter or number in each box(in orange county, not sure if the same everywhere). Those are the ONLY boxes on the page. Although YOU are all correct, its for them to fill out. I found many issues along the way trying to get my permit. One direction contradicting another on the initial directions from the clerk even. (orange county dont forget) How does this kind of thing not get fixed? Is everyone to afraid to tell them,not wanting to cause waves? When the investigator asked why I filled in the boxes I pointed to the directions which happen to be posted in front of me on the glass of the office. The investigator just smirked in a friendly manor and got the white out to fix it. Guess they realized I followed the direction EXACTLY and no where did it say not to fill that part in.

· Registered
2,127 Posts
Sorry this is a tad off topic but could not find the info and probably just did not look in the right place.

I am from Delaware and curious of gun laws in other states.

What are some of the weird ones in NY like is there a mag capacity ban? Also what do you have to do to get a license to carry a firearm in NY?

IN anyone is curious in Delware we are a MAY issue state. I do say that most people who apply get them, but its expensive as hell in Delaware compared to say PA ( have a pulse, be legal and pay $20).

We have to take a firearms concealled carry class $150-$350

2 passport size photos for CCDW ( concealled carry deadly weapon) $10 at least

Fingerprinting $60

Run an ad in the Newspaper saying that you plan to apply for a ccdw with your name and address. costs about $75 for most De residents. There are a few zipcodes that can pay a lower fee and I was one of them. I also think this should not be allowed.

The actual ccdw is 3 years and costs $67 I think it was

You also have to find five people who live in the county you do that basically will fill out a form saying you are a good person and should be able to carry a gun. I completly disagree with this and think it should be unconstitutional
Delaware Concealed Carry Forum - Index

· Registered
1 Posts
I'm in Monroe County and currently applying for my permit. I don't see anywhere on the forms where it says that section is for them to fill out, so I filled it out. Am I going to have an issue? Should I just get new paperwork?

· Postmaster General
23,190 Posts

This is a joke correct?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.