New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone:

I recently completed the gun safety course needed to apply for a pistol permit in Erie County, New York
I was wondering if someone could answer a couple questions for me.
The application still asks for a reason that I want a pistol permit. In view of the recent Supreme Court decision, I'm thinking that they didn't update the applications yet. Any thoughts?
Also, the question about having ever suffered mental illness. What if you have gone to counseling and have a diagnosis of simple anxiety and depression? Would that preclude not being able to get one? I have no record or issues that would be a problem. I work full-time and am an active member of the community.
Thanks ahead of time for your responses
S.T.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Apply, have 4 good character references. A doctor won’t write a letter due to liability. Depression and Anxiety meds are huge factors ever since the Suffolk licensee went on to murder innocent people at a pharmacy because of his addiction.
You can always appeal to an Article 78 if denied.

·
Registered
611 Posts
its such an open ended question, who’s to say anxiety is classified as a mental illness ? I’ve heard both sides by doctors, 9/10 LEOs have anxiety from their job duties. The guy in Suffolk county was addicted to opiates, not anxiety medications, actually his wife was, and he was stealing them for her or to sell illegally. Dr friends of mine said outside of the approved mental illness disclosure, these questions are in conflict with federal HIPPA laws, and the state does not require them. So, if someone takes a pain medication to manage symptoms of, let’s say, HIV, or any other illness, you are now required to disclose an HIV diagnosis (why you took/take) to local law enforcement ? and if you were denied after releasing that information ? I would see a huge civil rights lawsuit where someone, who is presumably / assumed homosexual, denied a constitutional right by police after revealing they have an illness often associated with gay men’s lifestyle ? All stemming from the Counties requirement to disclose use of a medication law enforcement, not even a licensed medical professional, finds “risky” ? Especially where gay men were often seeing violence committed against them and would like defend themselves. The same for any chronic illness, that may render you more of a victim and you happen to use a medication they want reported, something as simple as disc degenerative disease, that many people rely on pain medication, or arthritis, MS, Lupus, anything that can make you more susceptible to a being a victim of a crime, and I am required to disclose personal medical information, even if it has no bearing on my ability to use a firearm, to local law enforcement? Especially when not a requirement by the state licensing application, but by local jurisdictions ? The other side, what if someone has no idea of the classification of a medicine they took/take, now they get denied for not knowing pain relievers they took 2 years ago after a root canal needed to be reported ? The average person has no idea about what would need to be reported, or not.

·
Registered
5 Posts
In Monroe county , when our daughter applied it asked similar questions . Back in idk early high school she went to a few appts. for anxiety . I had a friend who process permits for the PD, he said that would not be an issue , but lying or trying to hide the fact would be .

Her permit sailed through no problem .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts