New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O.K., I am going right to the experts here so please don't let me down!! (How's that for a lead in??)
Here is my dilemma; I was at the LGS this morning to pick up some reloading supplies. I was looking to reload some 40S&W. I asked him what I needed and he said; "180 gr, LRN is what most people are loading (our indoor range does not allow FMJ rounds), so I said O.K. I then asked about powder because I had W231 at home and wanted to get more powder. He said "W231 is fine for the 180's"! I paid for my materials, went home and looked in the book and there is no listed data for 180 LRN with W231. I went on the Hodgdon site and they don't even list any lead bullets for the 40S&W.
My question is, does anyone have a recipe for using the 180LRN with W231 that is working for them? I am going to use this round in my S&W 4043 for target shooting only. If I have to buy another powder it's no big deal, I just thought if I can keep with the same powder, it might eliminate just one more potential problem.
Thanks in advance for any help given!

·
Occupy NYF JBT Tank Operator
2,322 Posts
I'll have to check my manuals for you when I get outta work tonight. You can always email Hodgdon to get the definitive answer.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I use bullseye for my .40. For a minor load I use 3.6 gn under 180 gn lrn. for Major I use 4.2 gns.

·
Registered
140 Posts
ive come to like Autocomp with 180's ... The avg i see in my loading book for 231 is 4.1 - 4.5g at 180g

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
Just be careful with lead. Some polygonal barrels are prone to accumulation and pressure spikes and something should happen
some manufactures void the warranty when using lead. They specifically recommend not to use lead.
Instead get copper plated bullets. They should be allowed where FMJs are not but I am guessing because
rules sometimes are so specific to the club that it is hard to say.
Always verify and double check the data you get.

·
Occupy NYF JBT Tank Operator
2,322 Posts
Hornady 7th Edition
180gr lead
Win 231 - 3.8gr 750fps - 5.7gr 950 fps
col 1.125"

Lyman 48th Edition
175gr lead
Win 231 - 4.3gr - 5.8gr
col 11.125"

·
Registered
687 Posts
Just be careful with lead. Some polygonal barrels are prone to accumulation and pressure spikes and something should happen
some manufactures void the warranty when using lead. They specifically recommend not to use lead.
Instead get copper plated bullets. They should be allowed where FMJs are not but I am guessing because
rules sometimes are so specific to the club that it is hard to say.
Always verify and double check the data you get.
Copper coated are still loaded in theparameters of a lead bullet though...right? NOT to jacketed bullet parameters.

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hornady 7th Edition
180gr lead
Win 231 - 3.8gr 750fps - 5.7gr 950 fps
col 1.125"

Lyman 48th Edition
175gr lead
Win 231 - 4.3gr - 5.8gr
col 11.125"
SpyderMonkey... Thanks for the info, I will go with this.
Thanks again for all the responses!!

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
Yes, copper plated must be treated as lead. The key difference is with some of the polygonal barrels where accumulation
can become and issue w/o the plated bullets.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I have been using W231 for years for the 40. I load the 165 gr. Plated bullets over 4.5 grains W231. This is the minimum load that functions 100% in my Flocks. It works in the G27, G23 and the G22. I run through about 2000 rounds per year of this.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts