New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks. New to the site. Looking to get my pistol permit, have done the class and have my certificate, but have heard conflicting information on past legal issues. Youthful indiscretion resulted in a DWAI about 33 or more years ago. Nothing since. I've heard that I should report this on my applications (Oneida County) and I've also heard that is was taken off the books a long time ago. If I have to put it on the application, I don't remember the year, date, etc., and not sure the municipality will have the information either due to age. Haven't had much luck so far. Not sure how to proceed.

Any insight will be greatly appreciated.

· Super Moderator
5,005 Posts
Hi folks. New to the site. Looking to get my pistol permit, have done the class and have my certificate, but have heard conflicting information on past legal issues. Youthful indiscretion resulted in a DWAI about 33 or more years ago. Nothing since. I've heard that I should report this on my applications (Oneida County) and I've also heard that is was taken off the books a long time ago. If I have to put it on the application, I don't remember the year, date, etc., and not sure the municipality will have the information either due to age. Haven't had much luck so far. Not sure how to proceed.

If you leave it off the application you will be denied. You must report all arrests. With this being 33 years ago it should not be an issue.
What permit are you looking for premise or concealed carry permit? Also what training class do you have? The concealed carry improvement act has changed a lot in NYS and you should familiarize yourself with it. You now need to disclose all residence of your home, have an in person interview, and disclose social media accounts for a concealed carry permit. Also for a CCW you need a 16 hour training course and 2 hour love fore course.

· Registered
428 Posts
If you leave it off the application you will be denied. You must report all arrests. With this being 33 years ago it should not be an issue.
What permit are you looking for premise or concealed carry permit? Also what training class do you have? The concealed carry improvement act has changed a lot in NYS and you should familiarize yourself with it. You now need to disclose all residence of your home, have an in person interview, and disclose social media accounts for a concealed carry permit. Also for a CCW you need a 16 hour training course and 2 hour love fore course.
All new pistol license applicants under the CCIA must complete the training unless the applicant completed the DCJS MPTC Police Basic Training Course.
Only those with current restricted pistol licenses who wish to have Full Carry who reside in Westchester, New York City, Nassau and Suffolk are required to take the 18 hour course to obtain a Full Carry.

· Super Moderator
5,005 Posts
All new pistol license applicants under the CCIA must complete the training unless the applicant completed the DCJS MPTC Police Basic Training Course.
Only those with current restricted pistol licenses who wish to have Full Carry who reside in Westchester, New York City, Nassau and Suffolk are required to take the 18 hour course to obtain a Full Carry.
Those counties you mentioned are renewal counties and will be required to take the training course even if the have a CCW currently. He doesn’t have a permit currently and is looking to apply.
I asked what training course he has because most don’t know about the CCIA and I wondering if he has the old 4 hour training course. Also that only matters if he’s applying for a CCW.
Here is the link to the new rules. Also a picture is attached showing that if you’re renewing your permit as a CCW holder in the counties you mentioned you will need to take the training course in order to renew.

Attachments

· Registered
428 Posts
Those counties you mentioned are renewal counties and will be required to take the training course even if the have a CCW currently. He doesn’t have a permit currently and is looking to apply.
I asked what training course he has because most don’t know about the CCIA and I wondering if he has the old 4 hour training course. Also that only matters if he’s applying for a CCW.
Here is the link to the new rules. Also a picture is attached showing that if you’re renewing your permit as a CCW holder in the counties you mentioned you will need to take the training course in order to renew.
When the DCJS memo came out back at the end of August. Those with a restricted pistol license have successfully obtained a Unrestricted Full Carry license from the County with a simple amendment to remove the current restrictions.
A few of the local gun shops were helpful with telling their customers about the new law guiding them through the necessary steps to get the restrictions removed. Those who are applying for a pistol license, are stuck taking the 18 hour course if they don’t want a premise license.

· Super Moderator
3,277 Posts
I'm in Oneida County. The pistol office won't even give you the application paperwork unless you have already taken the needed courses so the OP must have the new classes already. There are a few instructors here that have been given approval for their classes.

Reactions: Saltwater60

· Registered
2,870 Posts
DWAI may be an Infracti
on, not an "Arrest "
Don't risk it. I was given an appearance ticket as a minor, for a case that was eventually dismissed, and did not list that on my application. My application was denied because I failed to list my "arrest." Decision was reversed on appeal, but I wouldn't rely on that.

· Registered
749 Posts
Put it on your application.. I made a stupid mistake about 10 years prior to my application. (Dui reduced to dwai).. they didn't care about it since it was so long ago, but stated had I not listed it and got a letter from the court showing it was disposed I would have been denied..

(Orange county)

· Super Moderator
5,005 Posts
It’s absolutely an arrest. There’s no situation where they hand you a ticket or summons for a drunk driving incident and let you drive away as they would with a speeding ticket or something related. Yes I get there are appearance tickets and what not.
These all have crimes and jail terms associated to them with the exception of the zero tolerance policy because that’s for under aged drinkers who aren’t legally impaired but have some alcohol in their system. The other is for refusing the tests but that’s not what the OP described.

· Registered
2 Posts
It’s absolutely an arrest. There’s no situation where they hand you a ticket or summons for a drunk driving incident and let you drive away as they would with a speeding ticket or something related. Yes I get there are appearance tickets and what not.
These all have crimes and jail terms associated to them with the exception of the zero tolerance policy because that’s for under aged drinkers who aren’t legally impaired but have some alcohol in their system. The other is for refusing the tests but that’s not what the OP described.
Things were a lot different 33 years ago. What was common is frowned upon now and even illegal. At that time, you'd be handed a ticket and, if you had a sober passenger, they might drive the rest of the way. If you didn't, you might be allowed to drive home, depending on the cops. Just realize, things change with time. Machine guns once used to be legal.

· Registered
1,031 Posts

A NYS carry pistol license is nothing but a glorified premises license. Have you read the limitations under the Concealed Carry Improvement Act? It specifically spells out a long list of sensitive and restricted locations that you cannot bring a firearm [this includes licensed, concealed handguns] to. By default, you cannot bring a firearm on private property unless the owner gives express consent by posting a sign. Private property means shopping malls, convenance stores, restaurants, gas stations, movie theaters, places of business, Hotels and motels, residential homes, etc.

· Super Moderator
5,005 Posts
Things were a lot different 33 years ago. What was common is frowned upon now and even illegal. At that time, you'd be handed a ticket and, if you had a sober passenger, they might drive the rest of the way. If you didn't, you might be allowed to drive home, depending on the cops. Just realize, things change with time. Machine guns once used to be legal.
True but still needs to be looked into and of it’s considered an arrest it needs to be disclosed.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts