New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone was aware of a civilian training/employment program for non-mililtary/non-police to get into as a career. Somewhere between an unarmed security guard and a high risk contractor in Iraq is what I am thinking....Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Wackenhut would be worth checking out. Also the possibility of doing armored car work with a company like Titan or Brinks. I hope this helps. Good luck with your search.

G

·
I was wondering if anyone was aware of a civilian training/employment program for non-mililtary/non-police to get into as a career. Somewhere between an unarmed security guard and a high risk contractor in Iraq is what I am thinking....Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
The nature of the business has changed.

It was recognized by the contracting companies that riding herd on a convoy or standing a guard mount doesn't require the skill set of a former Special Forces operator working for the commensurate pay.

So the contracting companies began to lower their standards as well as the pay.

Foreign physical security work is now done mostly by troops hired in 3rd-world countries.

Opportunities to make huge money and have grand adventures have pretty much dried up.

Good luck in your search though.

One word of advice; if you come across a deal that seems just too good to be true, it's either a lie or it's illegal.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
The nature of the business has changed.

One word of advice; if you come across a deal that seems just too good to be true, it's either a lie or it's illegal.
My brother in law was SF and in for 24 years. After he retired he did some contracting in the sand. He stopped specifically due to what Kmussack has said. The quality of the contractors has steadily declined to the point it's gotten silly and potentially dangerous.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
You want some action and excitment drive down Broadway in Buffalo after 12.

·
Occupy NYF JBT Tank Operator
2,322 Posts
Sorry to burst your bubble but you won't get anything exciting w/o some type of military background. Retired police and swat don't even get the exciting jobs that pay well anymore. There has been a mass exodus of retiring military that flooded the private security market over the past few years.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wackenhut would be worth checking out. Also the possibility of doing armored car work with a company like Titan or Brinks. I hope this helps. Good luck with your search.
Thanks for the heads up. I had never heard of Wackenhut before now. Just looked them up and seems like they pay armed security guards pretty well. I had thought about Brinks before and might pursue that as well. I'm not looking for anything "exciting" but merely a new career and am too old to become a cop. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
You want some action and excitment drive down Broadway in Buffalo after 12.
Or walk.

...While wearing a suit and tie.

...And flashy jewelry.
Hold out baits to entice the enemy. Feign disorder, and crush him.
- Sun Tzu, The Art Of War (Chapter 1, Paragraph 20)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts