New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the supreme court lifting the bull crap New York has for pistol permit, what happens to my hunting and target license? I've heard people say that no longer exist and every permit is now a concealed carry. I've also had two people I know I apply for a pistol permit and they got it back within the last couple of days and they are concealed carry permits with no extra classes or anything.

·
Registered
330 Posts
The DCJS put out a memo once the court heard from New York’s Assistant Attorney General about the training requirements are for new applicants and those who renew a pistol license. Check with the County Clerk. If you have restrictions a simple amendment to No Restrictions.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Funny, Suffolk County looks to be downgrading all current ”restricted” Carry licenses (which were “technically” carry, in the eyes of NY State, but with county level restrictions to/from target range only, now it seems they seek to reclassify them as Premise licenses, with a right to “Transport” pistols to/from the target range, preferably in a locked container, as NYC currently operates. Our licenses are treated more of county level licenses than state.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Funny, Suffolk County looks to be downgrading all current ”restricted” Carry licenses (which were “technically” carry, in the eyes of NY State, but with county level restrictions to/from target range only, now it seems they seek to reclassify them as Premise licenses, with a right to “Transport” pistols to/from the target range, preferably in a locked container, as NYC currently operates. Our licenses are treated more of county level licenses than state.
I was told by the Suffolk Sheriffs to treat the Premises license, not premise, just like my sportsman. No locked boxes needed and can transport strapped and loaded like I normally would. Just don’t make any stops. Another note that since they call it a premises (plural) endorsement, and not a premise (singular) license, maybe that gives them some leeway as far as making their own restrictions as it’s only an endorsement.

·
Registered
611 Posts
I was told by the Suffolk Sheriffs to treat the Premises license, not premise, just like my sportsman. No locked boxes needed and can transport strapped and loaded like I normally would. Just don’t make any stops. Another note that since they call it a premises (plural) endorsement, and not a premise (singular) license, maybe that gives them some leeway as far as making their own restrictions as it’s only an endorsement.
I’m talking Western Suffolk county, SCPD territory aka NYC East.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Here in Rockland County nothing has changed since NYSRPA v Bruen.
I have a sportsman/residence restricted permit and was told at the county clerks office that even since the Bruen decision I still have to put in an application to the judge stating my just cause reason for wanting my restrictions removed just like before Bruen. The Supreme Court decision really hasn't changed anything. It's been 12 weeks since I put in my request to lift my restrictions and I've been calling every few weeks to see if it's going to be approved or denied for lack of just cause. So far I've gotten nowhere. It seems like the Supreme Court ruling really didn't change anything here. Still no carry permits allowed.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just Renewed my Pistol License with the Sheriff's office , in Riverhead July 22 2022 and it says :
Sportsman
Type/Carry
Same as before

·
Registered
330 Posts
One of the local gun shops is telling customers to now wait. The state is giving the licensing officials discretion on what they require to apply for a Unrestricted License.
I am sure we will start seeing people post new threads of being required to take an authorized course and provide social media accounts to apply for the Concealed Carry Unrestricted License.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts