New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just sold my Norinco AK and the guy who purchased it lives in staten island NYC. He is current active LEO and sent me a copy of his NYPD ID card. I am 99% sure I can just box up the AK and ship direct to him but I just want to be sure.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I just sold my Norinco AK and the guy who purchased it lives in staten island NYC. He is current active LEO and sent me a copy of his NYPD ID card. I am 99% sure I can just box up the AK and ship direct to him but I just want to be sure.
There have been many threads written here about this, do a search and you will find the answers you are looking for.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
There have been many threads written here about this, do a search and you will find the answers you are looking for.
I've seen many threads regarding shipping from NY residence to NY residence. That is legal. What makes this interesting is he is shipping from NY to LI through NYC.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
owning maybe, shipping is a big if.

city statute says it can be owned in performance of duties.... I may be reading it wrong though

from nypd rant:
An active Police Officer who's a resident of NYC can own/possess an "Assault" Weapon.
Upon seperation from Police employment the weapon must be disposed of (sold or transferred to another active PO/sold or transferred to an FFL/surrendered to the NYPD) or simply removed from the confines of NYC. If it's a post-2004 weapon in pre-ban configuration, it must be disposed of or removed from NYS in the same manner as a NYC weapon.

Can We Own (AK 47/AR 15) Assault Rifles? in THEE RANT Forum

NYC Administrative Code 10-305 Exemptions#37 http://www.nyfirearms.com/forum/getrefs/id/178727/type/0[-]

03/02/0900:32:43

c. Persons in the military service in the state of New York, when duly
authorized by regulations issued by the chief of staff to the governor
to possess the same, and police officers, provided that such police
officers shall not be exempt from the sections prohibiting the
possession or disposition of assault weapons except during the
performance of their duties as police officers, and other peace officers
as defined in section 2.10 of the criminal procedure law
, provided that
such peace officers (1) are authorized pursuant to law or regulation of
the state or city of New York to possess either (a) a firearm within the
city of New York without a license or permit therefor, or (b) a rifle,
shotgun or assault weapon within the city of New York without a permit
therefor; and (2) are authorized by their employer to possess such
rifle, shotgun or assault weapon; and (3) shall not possess such rifle,
shotgun or assault weapon except during the performance of their duties
as peace officers.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Aren't all AK type rifles banned in NYC? o_O

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Rick,

I would ask him for a letter from his dept head as to what they authorize their members to have if said officer should retire or here is a number to the NYSP you can ask what their opinion is on it. 518-464-7120 to CYA. Personally I will not deal in AR's or AK's to the 5 boroughs just because of the liability of the potential mishap or what if's. It is your call though.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
I too would be very wary of that. I would think in NYCafornia that not even police are exempt unless they are using duty rifles and they don't take them home...

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
So in NYC, the people sworn to uphold the law are themselves above the law. What's that saying about only the police owning guns in a police state?
*psh* Yeah, next thing you know the mayor will fly is helicopter around and ignore noise ordinances, or something like that.

·
Registered
156 Posts

from nypd rant:
I would not take legal advice from the rant. I do not believe there is an off-duty police officer exemption in local law 78. I may be wrong, but you can always call the License Division and ask them. That's probably the safest way to go.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
legal advice no, but its the closest way to get a collective answer from MOS on this subject. I think the only issue here is shipping. if he does FTF then its on the new owner if they bring it to the city of bloomberg. Maybe worth the ffl fee to just make it kosher.

shipping it could be fine. there is always the chance the box gets ripped open and someone has a heart attack. SEND IT UPS! USPS IS THE WORST!

·
Registered
3 Posts
and why don't he want an ffl / maybe the id is a fraud,it could be an nypd sting i don't trust the nypd only way he would get it is through an FFL be careful .you never know what the nypd is up to.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
we always love comments from people from "some where"! maybe becuase alot of FFL will not deal with it even though it may be completly legal!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts