New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the requirements for transporting a handgun in a vehicle?

Ive heard multiple different rules, such as:
1) handgun unloaded and locked
2) magazines unloaded and located in a seperate area of the vehicle
3) ammunition located in another area of the vehicle
4) etc...
5) etc.....

Seems like everyone I talk to has heard different reg's. Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
664 Posts
You need to add a little detail. Depends where your going and where you have permits for. And what kind of permit you have. Restricted, full carry.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Depends on your county rules for a permit.

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
If you have an unrestricted permit you can carry is wherever you want in the car, loaded or unloaded.

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
Then it's up to whatever your county tells you. It's not law, but doing other than what they say is violating their administrative restrictions. They can revoke your permit if they want.

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
http://www.ongov.net/sheriff/documents/PLAPPLICATION.pdf

IF YOU HAVE A CARRY WITH RESTRICTIONS LICENSE, (SPORTSMAN, EMPLOYMENT) YOU
ARE ABLE TO CARRY THE HANDGUN ON YOUR PERSON WHEN YOU ARE PERFORMING
THOSE FUNCTIONS LISTED. HOWEVER, TO TRAVEL TO PERFORM THOSE FUNCTIONS,
THE HANDGUN MUST BE SECURED IN A LOCKED BOX WITH A TRIGGER LOCK,
SECURED IN THE TRUNK WITH THE AMMUNITION SEPARATE.

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
"PER NY PENAL SECTION 265.00 THE FOLLOWING CHARGES
ARE CONSIDERED SERIOUS OFFENSES
9. JOSTLING..."

Wut? Seriously?

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
jostling - the definition is roughly equivalent to attempted pickpocketing

·
Banned
5,970 Posts
I used to jostle EMT's when I was teaching them how to put iv's in to simulate being in a moving vehicle. Anywho, when I have a weapon in the car i usually have one on my person also.

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
That makes a lot more sense, thanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Oswego County
Oswego County has restricted my pistol permit more. I decided to ask for a "unrestricted concealed carry permit". My concealed carry permit was restricted carry concealed to and from the range to and from hunting and employment requiring a hand gun as a requirement for employment. I wanted to update it to unrestricted but would except what they are calling a "sportsman". My permit now states "dwelling, employment and sportsman". I wanted to use my hand gun on my ATV and hiking and other activity's. I had to sign a statement saying that I could NOT carry concealed "TO AND FROM". I could carry "while actively engaged" in such activity's. In order for me to go to and from and transport the weapon it must be in a compartment, unloaded, locked and not with the ammo. It also can not assessable to the driver or passenger. The compartment must also be other than the glove box or console. I am fine with Oswego County restricting my permit as stated. I think that it is wildly inappropriate to restrict carrying in my vehicle going to and from activity's. There is no better prize than a hand gun to those that engage in crime. Restricting me more while in and out of my vehicle leaves my weapon open for theft and use agents me at any time before I engage in activity's. If you also think this is wildly inappropriate please wright.
Hon. James M. Metcalf
State of New York
Oswego City Court
Fifth Judicial District
Conway Municipal Building
20 West Oneida Street 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] floor
Oswego, New York 13126
(315) 343 0415
Fax (315) 343 0531

1 - 14 of 14 Posts