New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently acquired a Savage model 16 Trophy Hunter XP w/Nikon Scope (AccuTrigger), and sighted it in yesterday. I gave the rifle its first clean-out (removed the stock, etc.) yesterday, and after I reassembled everything I noticed a small rectangular metal piece in the area (laying on the floor) where I cleaned out the rifle, and have no idea whether it is part of the rifle or not. I again removed the stock and closely double-checked the manual to ensure that the mystery piece of metal was not part of the rifle, it's definitely not shown in the parts explosion within the manual. The small metal piece is fairly heavy for its size (weighs 1-2 oz. and seems to be solid steel, though I'm not 100% certain), and it had the scent of gun oil on it so I drove myself nuts last night trying to figure out if this small metal piece was wedged somewhere inside the stock, but no dice. The only thing that I could find within the Savage manual that even remotely resembled this rectangular metal piece was the mention of a WEDGE, but only for the AccuStock (which I obviously don't have). Everything seems to be functioning as expected after reassembly - bolt cycles perfectly, safety/Accutrigger work as they did before, etc.

So before I rule this out as something definitely not a part of the rifle, I wanted to post photos here knowing there are likely some Savage experts in this forum. You can click on the images to see a much larger view (which enlarges that parts explosion in the manual so that its easily readable)...

·
Registered
982 Posts
That's the sign of a great engineer right there. Put it together and have it work with less parts than the original.:D

I have no idea what that part is but I doubt it's from your rifle.:confused:

·
Registered
982 Posts
It looks like one of those rare earth magnets. It appears to be the same color and everything. Is it magnetic?

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
That's the sign of a great engineer right there. Put it together and have it work with less parts than the original.:D

I have no idea what that part is but I doubt it's from your rifle.:confused:

LOL. I know I'm probably being paranoid and that piece of metal likely has nothing to do with the rifle, but better to be safe than sorry I guess. Yes, I have admittedly put things together several times in the past with that extra screw or part still sitting somewhere after reassembly, and it drives me batsh*t.

Btw, I thought the same thing - that it could be a magnet. Turns out it's definitely not a magnet, but it is attracted to a magnet, does not retain any magnetism though...

Either way, I'm clueless as to what that piece of metal is from...

:bang:

·
R.I.P. to our friend PY-3-21-2016
5,474 Posts
You got the GOLDEN STEEL TICKET!!!!! You win a tour of the Willy Wonka Savage factory and all the ammo you can digest!

Lucky!

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Perhaps I should buy a Geiger Counter and make sure it's not radioactive!

·
Registered
982 Posts
Is your ceiling fan all out of balance now?

Spill it. What else were you working on in that area in the recent past?

It's driving me nuts now too. Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Looks like a weight to me, was someone trying to adjust the barrel harmonics to make it more accurate? I've heard you can do that.

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Seems like the last few posts could be onto something - the square piece of metal appears to have a blued finish, but I'm not 100% certain. The barrel of the Savage is stainless steel (matte finish) - link to the exact rifle is here. I looked around the basement nearby to try and find out if that piece of metal could've come from something else, but couldn't find anything that made the least bit of sense. LxW is roughly 3/4"x1/2".

·
Registered
725 Posts
That is the seer safety disengagement block shim. Whatever you do, don’t shoot that rifle. Ship it to me immediately!!!! I may be able to reinstall it for you but once they are removed the rifle is basically junk. I will make sure it is disposed of properly. Oh and make sure you send any ammo you have for it also.

:D

(Before someone actually believes my BS I'm kidding)

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Is there any area in the stock bored out in that shape or similar? Looks like a weight to me. My old Remington had a very small steel rod that sat in a grove under the barrel.

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
^ If I locate a 2nd one you'll have an incoming PM...

;)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts