New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question for anyone familiar with NYC Rifle and ShotGun policy.

So long story short .... I am looking to purchase and register a ShotGun. I live in NYC and have a premise permit along with my Rifle and ShotGun License and I am familiar with the process of the Pistol registration but wanted to see if anyone could clarify the process for buying and registering a ShotGun.

Do I need a purchaser voucher for a ShotGun? ( I dont think I do but couldn't find the exact wording ) Once I have purchased the ShotGun I know I need to register the shotgun with NYC to be added to my shotgun permit but is that by going down to Queens and if so how long do I have to get the shotgun to the Department . There is a lot of information on the Pistol Permits process however I couldn't find a lot of definitive information on the Rifle and ShotGun.

Any guidance would be great - I assume the gun shop can help as well but probably will be going upstate to purchase and want to make sure there is not misinterpretation.

·
Registered
5 Posts
You need to make out an application online with the NYPD in order to get a NYC Shotgun/Rifle Permit BEFORE you can have one in NYC. Get ready...the process takes about 6 months - 1 year. Only online applications are being taken: NYPD Online Good luck.
FYI, a handgun premises permit is a similar process but takes even longer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just reading your post over again....you already have a NYC Shotgun/Rifle permit? Unlike a handgun, you don't need an authorization to buy one. FFL dealers should be able to do the paperwork for you. If you are in Manhattan.....I strongly recommend the West Side Pistol and Rifle Range on W. 20th Street for all your needs.

·
Registered
21 Posts
For what it is worth process to get NYC rifle/shotgun permit recently took me like a year and a half. I got my handgun license quicker. In terms of of OP's question you don't need a purchase authorization in advance for a rifle/shotgun. You go to the store in NY or buy one online and have it shipped to the FFL. NYC gun shops and those in the immediate area will do the paperwork for you. Otherwise you need to take the required info from them and fill out the paperwork and send it in yourself shortly after purchase. Think they give you like 72 hours or something to submit the paperwork.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts