New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, Ive been looking at getting a pistol permit for a few years and finally decided to take the plunge. I understand the paperwork and the wait times ect ect I just had 1 question, a few friends of mine would like to take the course also and were wondering if we can take it together despite the fact that we live in different counties (Im saratoga and they are albany) Does it matter? Thanks in advance

· Occupy NYF JBT Tank Operator
2,326 Posts
Each one of you must contact your respective permit clerks and ask that question. Each county has different requirements and may not accept that safety course.

· Postmaster General
23,190 Posts
Some counties do net even have a safety course. Mine did not.

· Formerly SRV1
4,726 Posts
So you just filled out an app and got your permit?
Broome County does not require a safety course for a restricted permit. For CCW you have to take one though. Best money I ever spent. Plan on hitting of Rochester Personal Defense in the near future for more classes.

James

· Postmaster General
23,190 Posts
So you just filled out an app and got your permit?
LMFAO, I wish.

We had a class alright. A class that took MONTHS to get into. But it wasn't a SAFETY course at all. It was a 2.5 hour HOW TO FILL OUT THe PAPERWORK course. We went STEP BY STEP through the application reading every single line. For hours. Not so much as a MENTION of firearms. Plus don't forget the fingerprints/references/application notarization etc.

· Banned
5,971 Posts
LMFAO, I wish.

We had a class alright. A class that took MONTHS to get into. But it wasn't a SAFETY course at all. It was a 2.5 hour HOW TO FILL OUT THe PAPERWORK course. We went STEP BY STEP through the application reading every single line. For hours. Not so much as a MENTION of firearms. Plus don't forget the fingerprints/references/application notarization etc.
Is that what is supposed to be done or is that just what that "instructor" choose to do?

· Banned
5,971 Posts
Broome County does not require a safety course for a restricted permit. For CCW you have to take one though. Best money I ever spent. Plan on hitting of Rochester Personal Defense in the near future for more classes.

James
So, whats the process? You just fill out the app?

· Postmaster General
23,190 Posts
Is that what is supposed to be done or is that just what that "instructor" choose to do?
The judge (that makes up what is supposed to be done) writes right on the application the class-giver (under-sherriff) must sin what must be done. It is an application filling-out class. xD "To prevent possible errors."

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.