New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's been like a dozen or so posts about illegal things being posted for sale on armslist or sites like it, and that got me thinking (never a good thing), at what point is it our duty to report illegal items. I mean a post on a website could be from someone out of state who doesn't know better, or just trolling, but if we don't report the online things what should we report?

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
There's been like a dozen or so posts about illegal things being posted for sale on armslist or sites like it, and that got me thinking (never a good thing), at what point is it our duty to report illegal items. I mean a post on a website could be from someone out of state who doesn't know better, or just trolling, but if we don't report the online things what should we report?
If you see a Armslist post that you KNOW is illegal in NYS, Email the seller and inform them, they may let you know that they are from out of state or something similar, if they argue with you and YOU ARE SURE it is illegal, that is what the reporting on the Armslist website is for, you won't get anyone arrested the site placed the flagging options there for a reason. If you feel it is very illegal and that the guy selling it is well aware of it and purposely committing a crime or selling it to someone who does not know any better (which you would have to judge from how he responds to POLITE emails informing him of his mistakes.) then perhaps calling the local PD or State Trooper barracks would be the next option, I do not agree with the laws up here and I hope one day they go away, but if some 30 year old dude who is well aware that his post ban rifle has a threaded barrel and a bayonet lug on it is in fact ILLEGAL and he could/would sell it to some 19 year old kid who is just starting his firearms journey/lifestyle and that rifle lands him a felony charge with jail time and a botched job resume for the rest of his life, I'd say to turn that guy in, granted most of the guys on there will argue with u over the legality of their weapon, however it should be common courtesy to stop a person who may not know the laws from buying something that can ruin their lives, that's like watching someone plant evidence at a serious crime scene, you shouldn't stay quiet about it, I say use your judgement to decide when to speak up, start with polite emails and flagging the post on the Armslist site itself, if you feel somehow that it is a bit more important then that for some reason, you can contact the local PD and have them inform him of what is and IS NOT legal in this state.

I am not a Lawyer, a Police Officer or a Judge, but that is my opinion.

·
Banned
95 Posts
Or you could just ignore it and go about your business since it doesn't effect you unless you bought it

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Or you could just ignore it and go about your business since it doesn't effect you unless you bought it
Ultimately it can effect us .... They have already ended FTF transactions at gunshows , they are gunning (no pun intended) for internet sales because they say that one can purchase "illegal firearms" like apples at a fruit stand - each and every illegal weapon trying to be sold is just more ammunition for the anti-gun folks to use against us.
As was stated before ... maybe alot of them are just people that don't know any better and those people should know the laws - some of it could be a baiting thing ( let me put on the foil hat) and some is complete disregard of law.
Have the fun stuff? Have the post ban high cap mags? ... I'm sure the LEO isn't gonna come kick down your door because you are shooting targets in the back 40 and you have a collapsible stock - but if you are waiving it around in his face you might be asking for it.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Until enough people sell illegal firearms and you are forced to move out of state to enjoy your hobby, if you see a woman getting raped do you walk on by cuz it "isn't your problem?" Bad attitude to have for any situation really.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts