New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Formerly SRV1
4,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I having a little problem that has been going on for about a 5 years off an on. In the winter time, I will have mosquitos in the house. They usually show up in the bathroom. Now just to let you know their is no leaking pipes or rotted wood. No plants in the house. Basement is dry as a popcorn fart. The only two places I can think of is the bathroom vent because all of the moisture in the vent when taking a shower or the overflow drain in the tub other than that I have no idea where they would be coming from. The plumbing is good and all the traps are there. Around the outside of the house is dry as well. No muddy areas or even plugged gutters. Anyone have any ideas?

James

G

·
1. Do they bite?

2. Do they fly?

3. What is the temperature in the house?

Mosquitos only lay eggs in stagnant water and can"t fly in the cold.

Idea:

ELECTRIC BUG ZAPPER!

Fun for the whole family:)

· Formerly SRV1
4,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
1. Do they bite?

2. Do they fly?

3. What is the temperature in the house?

Mosquitos only lay eggs in stagnant water and can"t fly in the cold.

Idea:

ELECTRIC BUG ZAPPER!

Fun for the whole family:)
Yes they are the females ones and the temperature is around 68. Not all mosquitos lay eggs in water. Some lay them in the mud or on plants.

James

G

·
Ok so you have no plants or mud in the house. So water is the logical source.

Are they in the house in the summer in the same area?

Do use well water or public?

Have you checked the back of the toilet?

Have you checked the overflow of the sink and toilet?

Thats all I have

Best of luck

· Registered
2,127 Posts
could they be coming from the drain?
Yes. I have the same problem. When they show up, I pour about an ounce of bleach down the drain. Kills larva and whatever other nasties might be down there. Check toilets that you dont use often too. I opened up the tank on one my toilets that never gets used except when we have guests last winter and could literally see the larva swimming around. The open sump pit in my basement is another breeding ground I contend with too.

G

·
Most common sources at out house are the sump crocks in the basement.
Two or three drops of oil into each crock reduces the surface tension of the water so the larvae can't breath.

· Formerly SRV1
4,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
All the plumbing is new. Bathroom was remodeled and they were there before the bathroom was remodeled. City water and septic is the setup and the septic is fine. The toilet does not sweat so it is not that. Like I said earlier, the only thing I can think of the overflow drain part of the tub and the bathroom vent. The drain from the tub itself would not be the issue since it gets used everyday and the eggs would be flushed down the drain. I have seen them in the summertime through the house but I just figured it was summertime and they get it from opening the doors but they are in groups in the winter and the summer their is a just a few in the house so I think it is a winter problem.

James

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.