New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so according to the manual .."Your shotgun will function with factory-loaded ammunition of any shot size, as well as rifled slugs and sabot.The barrel is equipped with an internal modified choke tube. It can be removed or tightened with a quarter-size coin. (Be sure it is tight before firing")

its an 18.5 inch..I read peeps buying new or unscrewing and doing stuff, but idk why?
do I actuall have to tighten it with a coin or adjust anything when i want to shoot variety of shells? Can i load Bird,buck,slug in any order and not worry bout anything and just keep shootin? i don't hunt, its just for target, skeet, fun and ye ole hope i never need..HD.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Take the choke tube out, clean it real well and get some choke tube lube. Put some on the outside and screw it back into the barrel. Remove it once and a while and clean it. There is no adjustment , just snug it down with a CT wrench or quarter. after a few shots check to be sure it didn't loosen up. Shoot any type of shotshell ammo through it.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
The choque has an effect if you are trying to shoot something like a bird as it dictates how the spread pattern behaves at different distances.
The one you have should be fine a middle of the road for all purposes. Just make sure you take it out and clean it and apply some grease to the
threads to prevent long term galling. Also some chokes might catch a few hairs from wads and stuff that will come off when you clean the shotgun.
This is more problematic with autoloaders when plastic shavings accumulate in the porting done to kick the action. Obviuosly autoloadres that use
a gas system and not an inertia operated one like Benelli M2 for example.
Nothing huge to worry about but do clean it from time to time.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great info..thanks gents

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
Ok so according to the manual .."Your shotgun will function with factory-loaded ammunition of any shot size, as well as rifled slugs and sabot.The barrel is equipped with an internal modified choke tube. It can be removed or tightened with a quarter-size coin. (Be sure it is tight before firing")

its an 18.5 inch..I read peeps buying new or unscrewing and doing stuff, but idk why?
do I actuall have to tighten it with a coin or adjust anything when i want to shoot variety of shells? Can i load Bird,buck,slug in any order and not worry bout anything and just keep shootin? i don't hunt, its just for target, skeet, fun and ye ole hope i never need..HD.
Just an FYI, sabot slugs are intended for rifled barrels, not a smooth bore.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just an FYI, sabot slugs are intended for rifled barrels, not a smooth bore.
true, but according to that segment of the owners manual..rifled slugs and sabots are are what to use, it would have to be a rifled barrel then, no? Its rifle swirled down 18.5 inches when i clean it.;)

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
To get the best accuracy from sabots you should have a rifled barrel or a rifled choke tube. You will be spending a lot of money buying sabots slugs for a smoothbore barrel. If its rifled buy sabot slugs. If you use forster type you will leave lead in the rifleing. Most other rounds are in a plastic wad and wll work the same as sabots.

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
true, but according to that segment of the owners manual..rifled slugs and sabots are are what to use, it would have to be a rifled barrel then, no? Its rifle swirled down 18.5 inches when i clean it.;)
18.5 inch barrel I'm assuming is smooth bore, that's typical of home defense length using shot. You'll want rifled slugs to shoot if that's the case. You're wasting your money if you're sending sabot's through a smooth bore barrel.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Im not buying sabots for down range. That was just a quote from manual saying all types welcome on the Pardner 1871. Cylinder bore.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts