New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are a few questions for you, based upon the following HYPOTHETICAL situaton:

A young lad goes to a gun show here in NY State. Dealer at the show is selling high capacity (30 round) AR-15 magazines marked C Products LLC Newington, CT. There are no other apparent markings on the magazine bodies, there are no dates or date codes. The magazines look to be brand new; yet the dealer is openly selling them while state police and county or local police are walking around the show in uniform. The dealer swears they are legal in New York State and that they are pre-ban magazines. The young lad buys quite a few of them, then tells his dad about them on the ride home.

The dad thinks they are suspect as possibly not being pre-ban but canot tell by looking at them one way of the other. The dad looked at the receipt supplied by the dealer, it was on a piece of lined yellow note pad and does not even have the dealers name on it (possiblly a hypothetical dirtbag but that is yet to be determined). As for the mags, I repeat - no markings other than what was shown above, no dates or date codes. Dad thinks they are suspect because of how pristinely new they all appear and because of the questionable receipt that was given by the dealer.

C Products email was obtained from the Internet but they did not answer email inquiries. It was then discovered by the dad that C Products LLC has probably gone out of business recently.

Neither the son nor dad want problems. Can you help with the following questions:

Did C Products manufacture pre-ban high capacity magazines (or were they even in business before the ban)?

Did they manufacture hi-cap post-ban magazines?

If they made both, is there any reasonable way to tell them apart?

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Glenn B

·
Registered
9,137 Posts
Did you call? I don't think Larry is the email type

C Products LLC
Owner: Larry Panka Sr - A US Army Veteran '67 - '69
Phone:
Sales: (941) 792-4525
Customer Service: (941) 201-5336
30 Elmwood Court
Newington, CT 06111

ps, your screwed, the company was incorporated in 2004

Can you give us info on the seller?

·
Banned
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
RayKnobs,

So, they are still in business! I thought they had gone out of business

I will call them on Monday. Are you sure that is the correct phone number? I ask only because I see they have an address in CT but a phone number with a FL area code?

Thanks,
Glenn B

·
Banned
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, hypothetically speaking of course, if I find out for sure these are or are not pre-ban mags, I will be paying the dealer a visit to demand money back. For all I know, the guy who is the dealer could be the same as the manufacturer, he said he was from CT also. I don't want to start a fuss before I have all the facts on something like this, I suppose there is a chance they are actually pre-ban. I am only trying to get some info now, hopefully Mr. Panka can help me out with that.

I appreciate the help and the insight.

All the best,
GB

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Hypothetically speaking - C-Products does make rebuild kits which have the C-Products logo on the base plate of the magazine.

Without a date code on the magazine the law would have to fall on the burden of proof, which there is none as a baseplate is NOT the magazine.

Is it possible they are rebuilt legit magazines, sure, is it more likely that they are brand new magazines, probably.

If you think they are illegal then surrender them, throw them away, sell them to someone out of state or some other means.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
NO CProducts mags are preban. I would be rippin pissed...

That dealer in LI got busted for selling these...

BUT this is why us as gun owners must be well educated as the responsibility is ours to make sure we are within the law. One should ask before he buys not after.

Good luck. :)

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
Hypothetically speaking - C-Products does make rebuild kits which have the C-Products logo on the base plate of the magazine.
Exactly why I throw the cproducts floor plates away when I rebuild mags. I wouldn't be caught with them on my USGI prebans. Especially after I refinish them and they look pretty new.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Exactly why I throw the cproducts floor plates away when I rebuild mags. I wouldn't be caught with them on my USGI prebans. Especially after I refinish them and they look pretty new.
Same here. I bought a bunch of rebuild kits with springs, MagPul followers, and C-Products base plates a while ago to rehab some old pre-bans. At first, I stripped the mags completely, and installed all the new parts. Then I looked at them again, thought about it a bit, then pulled the CP base plates, and put the stock ones back on.
I thought about refinishing some of them, but they are old, beat up, and they still work, so.... I'd rather have some one look at them and say "Damn that's an ugly magazine" than have a police officer look at them and say "Hmmm, those look mighty new for NY"

I have seen more than a few "pre-ban" mags that looked brand new with C-Products base plates for sale at guns shows, and I just keep walking. I can't say for sure they aren't refinished legitimate pre-bans with new base plates, and I can't prove they aren't, so, no thanks for me.

·
Banned
38 Posts

Without a date code on the magazine the law would have to fall on the burden of proof, which there is none as a baseplate is NOT the magazine.

Is it possible they are rebuilt legit magazines, sure, is it more likely that they are brand new magazines, probably.

If you think they are illegal then surrender them, throw them away, sell them to someone out of state or some other means.
Just send them to me. I bring my brand new magpul P mags to the Sheriff's range and they all want to know why I have nicer mags then they do LOL. I've actually given a few to them. They cant get over the dust covers. they open up a footlocker full of rusted, beat up piles of crap and there I am with my nice armor/all'ed up P mags LMAO

·
Banned
38 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts