New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm just doing my application and have a question about the character references. When the will be contaced, do the have to let anything notarized?

Moreover, the form in asking for "Thereby Appley for a pistol license to" and "A licenses is required for ..."

I want to use the pistol for sport shooting, so I put this as second answer (anything else rcommend?) and for the pirst part, do I need to check "Posses on Premises" and my address?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
dude, there is a few more things going on then this right now. :) They will be mailed a questionnaire I got mine in 2010 and they did not have to notarize. unsure if that changed. I doubt it though.

put target, hunting and all lawful purposes. do not put for self defense. I would not specify for home as thats the default in Rockland anyway. it will be a sportsman/residence restricted license.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. Brought in my whole stuff to the pistol clerk office yesterday. I hope they are not working like snails and it is not taking 6 month to get the permit. Anyway, it seems that "my" Judge is Walsh from what I could see from the paper on the wall with the assigned SSNs.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I am from Rockland. Your references get a letter in the mail with a few silly questions that they have to answer either yes/ no. They then have to mail the letter back to the address provided. They do not need to get it notarized. For the reason you are applying you could have put "for all lawful purposes" but it doesn't matter, you will receive a Sportsman/ Residence restriction on your license.

·
Registered
54 Posts
You can go buy a handgun right now, but you can't leave store with it. You leave a deposit on the handgun now. Get the receipt from the gun store with the manufacturer, caliber and serial #. When your license comes in the mail, it will have a piece of paper in it. This is called a purchase coupon. Immediately go to the county clerks office with your pistol license, the purchase coupon and the receipt. They will add the pistol information to your license. You then drive to the gun shop and leave with your pistol after showing them the license and having a NICS check done. Any other questions about Rockland let me know.

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
Man your county is slow, in our county the letters are mailed next day to your references. Saw one of the letters and says right on it that their to busy with these to investigate deeply at their end so relying on responses heavily to make a determination. Also have heard from more than one person the whole proccess is taking only about a month.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, actually I don't care about two weeks with some federal holiday in-between. I'm more furious about that it take up to six month to get the permit. That is ridiculous but no wonder in a country where lunch breaks are more important than getting the job done.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Got a call today, the judget wants to see my permanent resident card. Yeah sure, you got that wioth my application, idiots. Anyway, drove buy and they made a copy. Secretary said 3 weeks or less and I'm good to go. Would be surprised if everything only take little over three month.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.