New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I went down to a Mayhoods in Norwich inquiring about how much they would purchase my 4 inch 1974 97+% blue Colt Python. After looking through his book and saying, when he heard that it was from 1974, " that brings the price down", he gave me a price of $450!!!!!!

I see that they go for $1900+ on Gun Brokerage, am I way off base?

·
Banned
5,970 Posts
Today I went down to a Mayhoods in Norwich inquiring about how much they would purchase my 4 inch 1974 97+% blue Colt Python. After looking through his book and saying, when he heard that it was from 1974, " that brings the price down", he gave me a price of $450!!!!!!

I see that they go for $1900+ on Gun Brokerage, am I way off base?
where is the location and phone number of said dealer and are they open on sundays?

·
Formerly SRV1
4,720 Posts
You are correct on the price. I have been wanting a 6" stainless Python for years but they are way out of my price range. Are you a member of the Smith and Wesson forums? That will sell there for sure. Post some pictures of it.

James

·
Formerly SRV1
4,720 Posts
where is the location and phone number of said dealer and are they open on sundays?
Yes they are open on Sundays and they are located in Norwich NY where they make Dan Wesson 1911's. What are you going to do, prank call them? LOL! I have bought a few firearms from them before and they always treated me good but I would never sell or trade them a firearm because they do not give you anything for it.

James

·
Banned
5,970 Posts
Miss read the original post, thought theey were selling one for $450, my bad.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
I'll give ya $451 ;)

·
Formerly SRV1
4,720 Posts
Well if that was the case, I would grabbed it!! LOL!

I would not mind having that for my collection but I do not think I can afford to buy it. OP, if I were you I would keep that gun unless you really need the money. They stopped making the Python in 1999 I believe and that thing will only go up in value.

James

·
Registered
152 Posts
As you thought, the offer of $450 is so far off the mark it's not even worthy of conversation. Over the past 5 years or so the price of quality Pythons have gone through the roof. Just the other day I was reviewing some of the auctions, and revolvers such as yours were routinely in the $1500-$2000 range.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Thanks everyone! I think I will take the advice of SRV1 and just keep it.

I too have had good luck buying at Mayhoods, but to sell, forget it.

·
Registered
6,384 Posts
Pythons are better than a 401K, hold onto yours for awhile. I traded a $200 revolver for this Electroless Nickel one 20 years ago.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Gunshops are notorious for lowballing the value of a gun being traded or sold to them. Case in point, I was short on money a while back and was looking to part with a S&W Model 25, Model of 1989. One shop offered me $150, another shop told me there was no such pistol, that I obviously put the gun together from parts, and offered me $200. There was a bit of lead build up in the barrel, the gunshop clerk told me that firing lead bullets ruin the value of the pistol. Fortunately, things worked out and I didn't have to part with it,

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I, too, read this thread that way, and was getting very jealous of someone scoring a Python for $450 :err:

Who would want to sell a Python anyway? :p It's like holding gold coated in platinum to gun owners these days.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts