New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

This is my first post so apologies if this topic has been discussed elsewhere(I've searched but have not seen it in this detail).

I recently moved from Putnam County where I held an unrestricted license for approximately five years. When I first moved to Westchester, I was told that I'd need to contact the Putnam County Clerk's office and have all of my records transferred. I called the pistol permit department at clerk's office and was actually surprised at one of the options I was given:

1. Fill out a request form for all records to be transferred to Westchester County where they would then process a new license and decide on any restrictions(most likely revoke unrestricted).

2. Fill out an address amendment form with my new Westchester County address listed and keep my Putnam County license even though I do not reside there. This option was obviously recommended by the clerk's office. I was so surprised to hear this that I asked a second time to make sure I was hearing the woman correctly. She said it was quite common.

I've seen a lot of speculation on the rules, laws, etc. in this forum but was just wondering if anyone else has dealt with or heard of the above with a move from Putnam to Westchester. I'd obviously like to go with option #2 but just wondering if Westchester County could potentially give me a hard time down the road if something were to happen.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Hi,

This is my first post so apologies if this topic has been discussed elsewhere(I've searched but have not seen it in this detail).

I currently moved from Putnam County where I held an unrestricted license for approximately five years. When I first moved to Westchester, I was told that I'd need to contact the Putnam County Clerk's office and have all of my records transferred. I called the pistol permit department at clerk's office and was actually surprised at one of the options I was given:

1. Fill out a request form for all records to be transferred to Westchester County where they would then process a new license and decide on any restrictions(most likely revoke unrestricted).

2. Fill out an address amendment form with my new Westchester County address listed and keep my Putnam County license even though I do not reside there. This option was obviously recommended by the clerk's office. I was so surprised to hear this that I asked a second time to make sure I was hearing the woman correctly. She said it was quite common.

I've seen a lot of speculation on the rules, laws, etc. in this forum but was just wondering if anyone else has dealt with or heard of the above with a move from Putnam to Westchester. I'd obviously like to go with option #2 but just wondering if Westchester County could potentially give me a hard time down the road if something were to happen.
Except for NYC, all NY Pistol Permits are State Permits. They are issued by Counties but they are still State Permits. I would go with option 2 as is being recommended. You will have a NY State Permit with your correct address on it. That is what the law states and requires.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I have seen people from Putnam who now live in Westchester carry over their Putnam Permits. I would try the same. From what I understand if a Supreme Court Justice signs off on your permit like Gorssman another lower judge or one with equal authority cannot revoke the restrictions. However they will probably try to when you need to re-certify with the county. Whereas Putnam it is with the state.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the info, I am definitely going to just go for the address amendment and keep my Putnam license.

·
Registered
6,384 Posts
Without a doubt, keep Putnam. The county clerk is very gun friendly.

Putnam has become very “liberal” with their handgun permits. I moved to N.C., but have a part time apt in my sisters home, they allowed me to keep my permit.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Good call the sooner the better I have seen people not change their address within 10 days of moving and had their handguns confiscated and need to hire a lawyer. In that instance they didn't even change counties which was even more ridiculous.

Also congrads on moving to Westchester, I can't wait to move back full time.

thanks for the info, I am definitely going to just go for the address amendment and keep my Putnam license.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts