New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I currently have my hunting & target pistol permit from Putnam county. I'm looking into applying in CT but have heard some mixed opinions. A local gun store told me that CT has gotten much stricter in the past 4-5 months and he even showed me a few customer's forms that got denied. The customers didn't live fire, so the shop owner took them to the range and they still got denied for not having the right live fire course.

A friend of mine is an NRA instructor and said that he can take me to the range but that CT doesn't even have a form for going to a range.

Can anyone confirm/clarify this? I can't seem to find a cut/dry answer as to what I need to do in order to get my CT permit.

Another issue I'm having is trying to figure out where to take the course or if it's even necessary for CT since Putnam requires the basic course anyway. I'd like CT and UT also but this thread is about CT. I'm a bit skeptical about some of these fly by night pistol classes. Some of them include fingerprinting and passport photos, which my friend does not, but my friend is giving me a great deal so I'd like to use him if possible. He hasn't heard anything about issues with CT permits though.

Thanks.

·
Registered
128 Posts
That's all I needed...oh, yeah...you should be felony free...big plus...huge.

·
Registered
876 Posts
CT requires live fire. Donzo, did you get the permit packet from the State Police? Read it carefully, a live fire training class is required.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Just received my CT non resident permit and I am also from Putnam. As long as you have the document with NRA Basic Safety you are good to go. Live fire is required for that class. Takes about 6 to 8 weeks turn around for permit. Paperwork needs to be done right so call CT State Police for answers to any questions you have. It will be sent back if not completed correctly

Good Luck

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
If you need the CT class, check out Shooters in New Milford I know they offer the classes and always seem to be full when I'm in there, should be close to you since you are in Putnam.

·
Registered
249 Posts
When I applied to Ct. I just included my NRA Basic Pistol certificate.

I even rolled my own fingerprints for Ct. They don't require an active LEO to roll the prints like Florida does. (I took a fingerprint class and was certified by NYS DCJS).

·
Registered
14,522 Posts
as others have mentioned live fire is required and proof of this training from a certified NRA instructor is mandatory. I am applying for mine shortly.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Just had my prints taken today at my local PD. Now I need the NRA Basic Pistol with the live fire.
I did my Basic Pistol course with Walter from Blue Mountain. There is a sign up sheet in the main office, does the class over two evenings, and I believe he only charges $25.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have my NRA Basic Pistol certificate taken from a local Putnam gun store. On the certificate, the "8 hours" is crossed out and overwritten with "4 hours" and it didn't cover live fire. I wonder if there's a place I can go to just for live fire to cover all the requirements for CT and other states. I dunno if I should just submit for CT and see if I get denied or not. I'd rather not waste money getting rejected though.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
I have my NRA Basic Pistol certificate taken from a local Putnam gun store. On the certificate, the "8 hours" is crossed out and overwritten with "4 hours" and it didn't cover live fire. I wonder if there's a place I can go to just for live fire to cover all the requirements for CT and other states. I dunno if I should just submit for CT and see if I get denied or not. I'd rather not waste money getting rejected though.
Go talk to Walt at Blue Mountain. Even if you have to take the course over again, it's only $25 and IMO money well spent.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Go talk to Walt at Blue Mountain. Even if you have to take the course over again, it's only $25 and IMO money well spent.
I called that place the past 2 days and it just rings and rings. I guess I have to show up and hopefully be able to take the course the same day.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
I called that place the past 2 days and it just rings and rings. I guess I have to show up and hopefully be able to take the course the same day.
What time did you call? I called yesterday afternoon (~2pm) and got through. The young lady on the other end was nothing but helpful. You can call in to be added to the list. The class is once a month (two sessions) and the next class will be in October.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quick update: CT requires a live fire class as well as a FULL CARRY in another state, not necessarily your state of residency. Since I'm in Putnam and they don't give full carry right off the bat, I had to apply for it before applying for my CT non-resident. Supposedly some guys got their CT license with their only full carry being their Utah permit.

Also, to get a full carry in Putnam you now have to provide the specs and photos of your gun safe and show it bolted to the wall/floor and a description of its location in your home.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I did my live fire with Walt from Blue Mountain as others have stated above. Real nice guy, explains a lot and very knowledgable.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
If you need the CT class, check out Shooters in New Milford I know they offer the classes and always seem to be full when I'm in there, should be close to you since you are in Putnam.
They fair priced? Never thought to check with them lol.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I got unrestricted full carry from CT...I have a restricted NYS pistol permit (target/employment) which does let me carry but is not the same as full carry. I submitted that with my NRA basic course certificate and whatever other forms and fingerprints they needed. I got the CT license back in around 2 months. Problem free. So I think it should work if you only have Premise/Target, I think they just want to see a pistol license.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts