New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I finally got it in me to utlize the hill in my back yard and after ripping out a lot (a LOT) of over growth I decided to put in a short home range.

Got my paws on some 2x4s and built a frame tonight... about 4 feet tall, 5 feet wide... sunk the base down about 6-8 inches and buried it with heavy stones and re used the dirt I dug out...

That hill is a good 10-15 feet thick, all dirt, stone, and what would appear to be old car parts lol. I put the two rows of blocks on top just in case, might throw another row on top. Maybe fill them with concrete?

Primarily shooting .22LR, eventually 5.56, maybe some light shotgun loads. Think it'll be alright? All shooting will be done in the frame or under (no plinking off the top). Just wondering if there is anyone out there with some advice or bases I didnt cover...

What does everyone think?

·
Registered
401 Posts
Anything other than dirt(like rocks/metal) you will get flyers over the top.And your blocks as shown would not stop a 9mm much less a 556 !!! double the height
and width will do more for your backstop than blocks which are hard when filled with concrete (FLYERS) and fragile when not . (Rule of thumb) would you stand behind it ? I wouldn"t !

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Anything other than dirt(like rocks/metal) you will get flyers over the top.And your blocks as shown would not stop a 9mm much less a 556 !!! double the height
and width will do more for your backstop than blocks which are hard when filled with concrete (FLYERS) and fragile when not . (Rule of thumb) would you stand behind it ? I wouldn"t !
Thats the kind of input I'm looking for... I'll see what I can do about upping the height... the pic doesnt show it but the current height does go wider in the back, it goes out past the tree on the left...

Thanks for the critique...

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Best way to mentally judge a backstops effective capacity is consider if youd let a loved one stand behind it. I judge many things in life by this standard (working / buying cars, building decks, etc).

For 22LR I'm sure it's overkill but anything else Im overly cautious.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
The berm is not high enough. If the target frame was at ground level the berm it might be barely high enough. Get someone in there with a machine ( backhoe, little dozer ) to pile you up some dirt. I like six feet above the target, be safe not sorry...

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So I just got in from out back. After the criticisms I wasn't as confident in the height anymore so I dug it up and sunk it quite a bit deeper. The framed area is now more center to the backstop (didnt have my phone on me so no updated pic). Replaced the blocks with a couple layers of thick logs from a tree I cut up this year, not exactly a solution but softer than the bricks for now.

My in laws have some junk tractor tires I may be able to convince them into letting me take and my sister in laws boyfriend works at a Kubota place that rents a small excavator I was planning to dig out a ditch with this year, so I should be able to work something out soon. I won't be able to pull it off with just me and a shovel like I did this lol.

For now though I'm confident in it being good to go for .22s, and really that will be the majority being shot back there just to keep the noise down anyway.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.