New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
im not going into detail here but ill just post the cliff notes,

going to honeymoon south carolina for 2 weeks,

i will be looking everywhere for a preban lower (probly considered old junk there)

bring it home with me?

ship it to my house?

ship it to FFL?

do i need FFL to ship it?

i leave sunday morning so hopefully get some good answers..

i need to find preban ID thread (FOUND) http://www.ar15.com/content/legal/serialNumberList.html

thanks guys!

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
Ship it to your FFL is the legal way to do it. While in Alabama this winter I did the same thing you want to do, I just bought it through a dealer and shipped it to my FFL (here) so it was ready to be picked up when I got back.

You may want to look for Preban Magazines while you are there, you most likely will get them 70% cheaper than you can on line or while you are in NY.

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ship it to your FFL is the legal way to do it. While in Alabama this winter I did the same thing you want to do, I just bought it through a dealer and shipped it to my FFL (here) so it was ready to be picked up when I got back.

You may want to look for Preban Magazines while you are there, you most likely will get them 70% cheaper than you can on line or while you are in NY.
i have pleanty of mags.... but since it would be mine for me and its a long gun whats to say i didnt bring it with me? who knows i bought it there?

·
Registered
810 Posts
Brian, you are asking questions on an open forum about bringing back a gun you want to buy out of state possibly not doing it legally and you don't think think anyone would know?? Dude you really need to rethink what you are planing to do. Pay the 30 bucks to an FFL and have no worries.

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you know if it's illegal? I don't that's why I'm asking. If you don't know the answer then GTFO

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
Yes it is illegal for you to do what you described. Check out the BATFE website on out of state purchases.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Do you know if it's illegal? I don't that's why I'm asking. If you don't know the answer then GTFO
We are trying to help you and you say GTFO. If you don't like the answers that people give you here then don't ask a question. Like I tried to tell you,along with dsdmmat, it is not legal to do it the way you are saying you want to. So do what you want as it doesn't affect me one way or the other.

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
We are trying to help you and you say GTFO. If you don't like the answers that people give you here then don't ask a question. Like I tried to tell you,along with dsdmmat, it is not legal to do it the way you are saying you want to. So do what you want as it doesn't affect me one way or the other.
He's not getting the RIGHT answers.

It's perfectly legal to purchase a long gun from an FFL in any state and bring it back as long as the state you are buying in does not have a state law specifically prohibiting selling to a non-resident. Handguns are not and you would have to ship it to an FFL here. Are you talking about a stripped receiver only? In that case, although it's considered an "other" rather than a long gun on the 4473, it's was still manufactured as a rifle so I would think it's legal to take possession of and drive back with. I would confirm that a stripped lower manufactured as a rifle counts as a "long gun" under the ATF's rules before going down. You should be able to email the BATF for that since it's federal law.

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well most likely ill be buying it from a NON ffl ie: flea market or just some random person. and yes im only looking for a stripped lower.

since its a long gun i dont see it being any different than me bringing 4 ar-15's with me.

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
well most likely ill be buying it from a NON ffl ie: flea market or just some random person. and yes im only looking for a stripped lower.

since its a long gun i dont see it being any different than me bringing 4 ar-15's with me.
If you buy from a private party (non FFL) then you have to be a resident of the same state as the seller. You'll have to have them ship it to an FFL up here or go to a gun shop and do the transaction through the licensed shop. That eliminates the question of whether or not a stripped lower is a long gun too.

·
Registered
9,137 Posts
He's not getting the RIGHT answers.

It's perfectly legal to purchase a long gun from an FFL in any state and bring it back as long as the state you are buying in does not have a state law specifically prohibiting selling to a non-resident.
The ATF says other wise

Q: May an unlicensed person obtain a firearm from an out-of-State source if the person arranges to obtain the firearm through a licensed dealer in the purchaser's own State? A person not licensed under the GCA and not prohibited from acquiring firearms may purchase a firearm from an out-of-State source and obtain the firearm if an arrangement is made with a licensed dealer in the purchaser's State of residence for the purchaser to obtain the firearm from the dealer.

I read that as if you are not a dealer and buy a gun out of state it has to be shipped to a NY dealer for you to obtain it. It's strange because it seems to contradict the FAQ question right before it that say you can obtain a gun from a dealer in person. Maybe it's refering to mail order

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
Lowers only are being classified as other, which are not long guns, not all pre ban lowers were made as rifles and finding an FFL to sell you a lower (only) as a rifle may be as hard as finding a preban sure fire 60 round magazine.

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i really dont care what its classified as its going to be bad ass! if i need it shipped i have 2 weeks to get it figured out.

if its classified as a pistol even better! rifle? bad ass rifle, other? still a bad ass rifle!

ill report back monday while im in the south on what i find.

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
i really dont care what its classified as its going to be bad ass! if i need it shipped i have 2 weeks to get it figured out.

if its classified as a pistol even better! rifle? bad ass rifle, other? still a bad ass rifle!

ill report back monday while im in the south on what i find.
Classification makes a difference in the buying status, other and pistol have to be shipped to a dealer a rifle if in a state that doesn't bar sales to NY residents can be carried home (like Jeff said). Do what you want, I had my lowers shipped to my FFL it was the legal way to do it.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
As the guys above mentioned about classification.

Rifle - bring it home with you
Other - needs to be shipped to your FFL
Pistol - needs to be shipped to your FFL

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Doesn't NY law say that it has to be a contiguous state to bring it back?

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
And that's just buying from FFL's. As far as I can tell, you can't FTF across borders AT ALL, and can only transport from an FFL in a contiguous state, in the case of long arms only. All pistols, all states, must travel from FFL to FFL.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts