New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, im new here, i live in queens now, been good with guns since i was a little kid, have property upstate ny in delhi. Have a few questions i was wondering if you guys can clear this up for me.

My drivers license is in queens, i do not have a riffle permit for nys since all the riffles are out of the city, have a couple, one i got july 4th weekend this year and no issues with it, this weekend i went up to delhi and on the way there stopped off at gander mountain and picked up a savage axis 2 30-06 and took it to the upstate house and left it there for hunting season as my new gun for this year. Now i got a call from gander mountain stating they need my riffle license or to return the rifle.

Now i am and was under the impression that as long as the long guns arent stored in nyc then the permit is not needed. Spoke to the sales man at gander and he said the only way that would work is if my license was in delhi upstate...

And now i find out you can only buy one riffle every 90 days...

Is he wrong and can i just keep the rifle or do i really have to return it considering i purchased other riffles from other shops and never had this issue...

Please let me know what needs to be done since i imagine you guys here are a lot more up on the new ****ty unsafe act laws then i am..

I appreciate your help.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Sounds like a bunch of bull**** to me but what do I know? I don't live in Queens.

I'd tell them to come down to Queens and get it if they can find it but that's just me.

FUAC!

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
Assuming you gave them your license and correct address when THEY ran the NICS check and then THEY sold it to you, I'd tell them to go bugger off. Sounds to me like they're just trying to cover their butts. Wouldn't bring it to NYC though (I know you said that you don't). BTW welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I believe if you can prove the upstate property address with your name on it, you will be ok. You can obtain a letter of address from the local county clerks office.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanx for the welcome and replies

yes I gave them my license and filled out the paper work just like any other time I have gotten a riffle, they even had a manager check over everything and stamp it and finalize the sale, took it to the upstate house, sighted in the scope and everything and I get a phone call today about this and that we can't finish the paperwork because you didn't give us your firearms Id and the blue cupon or whatever. So I'm stumped, I don't need them reporting me or saying I have a illegal rifle and having cops storm my house either...so maybe return the riffle to gander and have my regular guy order me one since he doesn't give me no bull****. He just didn't have them in stock and I wanted to pick up something this weekend...

i donno what to do !?

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
I'm not a lawyer and don't know the legal answer but this is right off the NYC rifle/shotgun application instructions found on page 4 here http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/downloads/pdf/permits/rifle_shotgun_permit_application.pdf

It appears a permit is only required if the rifle/shotgun will be STORED in NYC.

Procedures for Registering Rifles and Shotguns
All rifles and shotguns stored in New York City must be registered with the Rifle/Shotgun Section.
PERMIT HOLDERS ARE RESPONSIBLE TO ENSURE THAT ALL RIFLES AND SHOTGUNS ARE REGISTERED WITH THE RIFLE/SHOTGUN SECTION. VIOLATIONS WILL BE GROUNDS FOR SUSPENSION OF PERMIT AND SURRENDER OF FIREARM(S).
(a) If transferring firearms from one permit holder to another, the buyer and seller must check the validity and expiration date of the others' Rifle & Shotgun Permit. It is also the buyer's and seller's responsibility to see if the gun in question has a validated registration form.
(b) The buyer will submit the new registration form to the Rifle/Shotgun Section. The registration form will be validated and sent back to the buyer. The seller should keep the pink copy and the buyer should keep the white copy for their records. The white and pink forms are not actual registration forms.
(c) A green registration form must be filled out and signed by both the buyer and seller for each gun bought and sold.
(d) When a gun is bought from a gun dealer outside New York City, the original bill of sale or a copy must be submitted along with the completed registration form.
(e) When a gun is purchased from an individual not residing in New York City,a notarized bill of sale from the seller listing the make, model and serial number of the gun, and including the name, address and telephone number of the seller must be submitted, along with the completed registration form.
(f) If the permit holder has a gun stored in a residence outside of New York City and wishes to register it in New York City, he or she must submit a notarized letter listing the make, model and serial number of the gun and the address where it was stored. The letter must also indicate how the firearm was originally obtained. The permit holder must also complete a registration form and submit it.
(g) When buying or selling rifles and shotguns froma New York City dealer, a registration form, or disposition report will be issued by the dealer. The dealer will submit a duplicate to the Rifle/Shotgun Section. The permit holder must verify that the Rifle/Shotgun Section has received said registration form or disposition report.
(h) The buyer and seller should submit photocopies of their Rifle & Shotgun Permits, along with the completed registration form.
(i) When a permit holder sells a gun to someone outside of the city who does not possess an Rifle & Shotgun Permit, the permit holder will submit the registration form to the Rifle/Shotgun Section. It is referred to as a disposition form.
(j) All rifles and shotguns brought into New York City for storage must be registered with the Rifle/Shotgun Section within 72 hours of arrival.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
OK...do NOT let them bully you!

Tell gander mountain to screw off.

First of all FFLs outside NYC are not required to fill out the NYC registration forms.

Second it is perfectly legal for a NYC resident without a nyc license to buy a gun and store it outside nyc. NYC has NO LEGAL AUTHORITY to tell NYC residents what they can or can't own outside NYC.

Third they already sold it to you so tell them to screw off. Nothing they can do. If they call the local police they won't do anything. If they call the NYPD they may visit your house and ask you where the guns are...you can tell them to screw off too. Or just tell them it isn't in NYC. And they will leave you alone.

Wow. The complete idiots at gander really piss me off.

Seriously tell them to screw off.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I believe if you can prove the upstate property address with your name on it, you will be ok. You can obtain a letter of address from the local county clerks office.
No need. For all they know he's keeping it at his friends house. Or out of state.

Perfectly legal and gander can screw off. Morons.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's what I was under the impression of, as long as it's not in NYC it's good, I read through the rifle shotgun website ten times that's what's confusing me, looks like I'm gonna be fighting this one I might even call the rifle shotgun division and ask directly

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
That's what I was under the impression of, as long as it's not in NYC it's good, I read through the rifle shotgun website ten times that's what's confusing me, looks like I'm gonna be fighting this one I might even call the rifle shotgun division and ask directly
I would just not worry...ignore the whole situation...you are legal...calling the NYPD is just going to reaffirm things I said...or if you speak with an idiot at the rifle shotgun section (likely), it will just confuse things - they like to say "No that's illegal' no matter what.

Ignore Gander mountain...they have no legal authority over you....ignore their calls.

Keep all guns ammo and mags outside NYC and you are good to go.

If you want to educate the morons at Gander then by all means deal with the situation so future people from NYC aren't screwed with by dumb store clerks.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
GM is getting concerned because they are not quite sure if *they* are in the clear legally for selling the gun to you. *You* are legal so long as you possess the gun outside NY, since it does not meet the AW criteria and NY does not require statewide registration of long guns.

FFLs need to confirm that the gun is legal to possess in the state of residence by the buyer, or the FFL is committing a felony. I am not sure what the ATF has to say when the gun is legal for the buyer to possess in most, but not all of their state of residence, but that is their issue, not yours.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
would you believe I have to keep a 50bmg Noreen 1 shot rifle upstate as I cant put that on paper with NYC? It weighs 60 friggin pounds and fires 1 shot at a time bolt load!!! It has a pistol grip, I guess thats why. The idiot on the phone said because it has a built in scope mount its a sniper rifle. Can they be any dumber i ask? If its a bolt or lever, why is a pistol grip a probem????

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
would you believe I have to keep a 50bmg Noreen 1 shot rifle upstate as I cant put that on paper with NYC? It weighs 60 friggin pounds and fires 1 shot at a time bolt load!!! It has a pistol grip, I guess thats why. The idiot on the phone said because it has a built in scope mount its a sniper rifle. Can they be any dumber i ask? If its a bolt or lever, why is a pistol grip a probem????
Uhhh...they are incorrect completely.

If the gun is not semi auto - it can have all the evil features you want.

A "built in scope mount" is not an evil feature in NYC anyway.

I would re-register, and with the registration, write a detailed letter explaining that the NYC AWB does not apply to this gun, as it is NOT semi auto. They are such morons it is unbelievable.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So I actually called the shotgun and riffle permit section and spoke to a lady, she states that the permit for long guns is only to poses and store the guns in the 5 boroughs, anywhere else state rules apply. Then she even said, listen, if you have a home upstate out of NYC and you feel secure that your weapons are safe there when you are not around we don't care as long as you do not bring them into NYC. So it sounds like to me that I am fully in the clear considering the place I made the purchase and the place of storage is outside NYC I'm good.

Now my concern is how can gander mountain try to screw me? Really don't need them messing with my paperwork and getting the law to show up at my house?

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
So I actually called the shotgun and riffle permit section and spoke to a lady, she states that the permit for long guns is only to poses and store the guns in the 5 boroughs, anywhere else state rules apply. Then she even said, listen, if you have a home upstate out of NYC and you feel secure that your weapons are safe there when you are not around we don't care as long as you do not bring them into NYC. So it sounds like to me that I am fully in the clear considering the place I made the purchase and the place of storage is outside NYC I'm good.

Now my concern is how can gander mountain try to screw me? Really don't need them messing with my paperwork and getting the law to show up at my house?
If your concerned about GM just call them and put them on the right track.

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
Yep, call them, and if the idiot doesn't get it, have him call the lady you talked to earlier.
Robin

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Yeah, this is just employees not knowing the law. It's like the stupid look you get from a Dick's employee when he asks for your pistol permit when buying 9mm. Trying explaining to those idiots a 9mm carbine.

·
Registered
876 Posts
You don't have to prove anything. What you did is perfectly legal. It doesn't matter where you are from. People from other states can buy long guns in NY if they pass the NICS check. Tell Gander Mountain to [email protected]#k off.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
And this check is done before I leave the store if I'm not mistaken, so if they let me walk out then I'm legal, they are just scared and want to cover their ass it's what it looks like.

·
Registered
756 Posts
if you are a queens resident and purchase a long gun outside the city that FFL will sell you that long gun according to Federal and state law the sale did not take place in the city so city "law" is out of the transaction, A dealer outside the city has no business enforcing city law but the do take that liberty from time to time. when I lived in queens about ten years ago that gander mountain refused to sell me a long gun just based on state and federal law alone so I had to find one that would and I did. I would be VERY CAREFUL here, they have proof that you purchased a firearm and have your address in the city. if they call the NYPD and tell them they can prove you bought a gun and left and it may be at that address YOU HAVE BIG PROBLEMS . get it strait with them that it at your delhi house ASAP.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts