New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a PT709 originally came with 2 mags. One magazine fails to lock on last round every time and gives me FTE'S about 70% of the time just with this mag.
It is obvious the problem is the magazine..not the pistol or ammo related. Weapon has about 450-550 rounds threw her.
I know the easiest solution is to buy a new mag but problem is they are extremely hard to find. I only seen them in Ebay for about 100.00.....insane
If you look closely on the pics one magazine has a gouge on the follower (yellow piece) that is the mag in question.

Is there anyway I can repair this mag? any input would save me 100 bucks and greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
536 Posts
It looks to me like the ends of the top of the mag might be spread a little wider than the one on the left, if you have a micrometer measure them and tighten them up if it's different. Hard to tell from a picture. You could try some epoxy and sanding it down to remove the groove, or call Taurus and see if they can just send you a follower. Lifetime warranty and all! Is the spring in the bad one as strong as the good one? That's another thing to check.

As far as buying mags, I got one from grabagun cheap last year by signing up for their notify list. You can also backorder them from Midway if you don't mind waiting until April (or later).

Taurus Mag Taurus 709 Slim 9mm Luger 7-Round Steel Blue

A lot of people at this thread say you can call and order them from Taurus reasonably too. Limited stock though so you might have to wait for the next shipment. If found they are not in their online parts list, so you have to call them apparently to place an order.
Where to buy 709 slim mags??! - Page 5

hope that helps!

Don't pay $100, they will come around if your patient.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply and the info. Since this mag is bad anyway I have nothing to lose. Best way to crimp the lips accordingly?...

·
Banned
5,970 Posts
Call Taurus and see if they will send you a replacesment or fix the one you have. I scored an extra mag for mine for $25 about a year ago, just be patient

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Call Taurus and see if they will send you a replacesment or fix the one you have. I scored an extra mag for mine for $25 about a year ago, just be patient
$25?? How long did you wait?...not a big deal but I love cc this weapon because of its dimensions and an extra mag always gives peace of mind.

·
Banned
5,970 Posts
I dunno, thats all they list for, I think I have had the gun 3-4 years, got the mag a year or so ago.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I had to "adjust" the feed lips of several mags for my high standard .22. To not mar the finish or bluing, I used needle nose pliers but wrapped the points in electrical tape.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had to "adjust" the feed lips of several mags for my high standard .22. To not mar the finish or bluing, I used needle nose pliers but wrapped the points in electrical tape.
I just finished doing what you suggested. I cycled the weapon and the magazine locks back after the last round and also drops freely from the frame something it did not do with this mag. I still have to test in the range but it seems it worked. THANK YOU ......Are you a smith?

·
Registered
536 Posts
Nope, just a gun enthusiast like you. I happened to have a little experience with tricky mags for my high standard, as I said. Glad it worked for you!

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nope, just a gun enthusiast like you. I happened to have a little experience with tricky mags for my high standard, as I said. Glad it worked for you!
THANK YOU....I will see what happens under pressure.

·
Registered
9,136 Posts
Contact Taurus customer service. They have a lifetime warranty on their stuff. They will send you a replacement.

The Taurus Unlimited Lifetime Repair Policy™ is just that. The lifetime of the gun...not the buyer. This is the first warranty of its type in the industry. No other manufacturer has the confidence to extend this kind of offer. Except us. We know how good our guns are, and we are not afraid to stand behind them... for a lifetime.

305-624-1115 or fax at (305) 624-1126

1 - 11 of 11 Posts