New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm fairly new to AR building and I'm now starting on my second rifle. I have two different lowers on hand to choose from. Either a RRA or a PSA. Either would be fine, but what I'm looking for is an opinion on the upper assemblies. I'm going with either a 14.7 or 16 for barrel length. The prices between Del-Ton and PSA are roughly the same for the profile I'm looking at. I have seen both brands as an assembled rifle but never shot either. I'm looking for a rifle that I can make as my secondary for training as well as a rifle for my wife since I already have another AR that I prefer to keep the round count down on. I was hoping to stay in the $500 range for the upper alone. Any suggestion or thing I should know about either of the brands?

·
Banned
5,970 Posts
I have a Del Ton HBAR upper, shoots very well, very well made, no issues at all. My firend has the M4 Del Ton upper, same can be said for his. I have a PSA lower, better fit and finish than my Rguns lower. Next build will more than , likely be all PSA because of the price.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the heads up Evild. I was just on PSA's website and it looks like it's going to a little cheaper with them because of free shipping. I'm also a little torn about where to spend the extra for the HF barrel instead of just the CMV.

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
Have seen quite a bit of PSA stuff and it's pretty decent. Del-Ton is budget level crap.

·
Banned
1,261 Posts
I see PSA must be getting short on Bolt Carrier Groups,as most uppers dont come with one now!But I have a PSA upper and like it alot,for the price I would buy another...

·
Registered
112 Posts
I got this one last week and I'm just waiting for it to be assembled and shipped PSA 16" Mid-length, Light profile, MP Upper - 16" - Barreled Upper Assemblies - AR-15. I have shot these before and they are flat out amazing.

Delton gets a bad rap in some circles (arfcom, there, I said it), but a bunch of folks here locally that are AR fanatics swear by their quality. Before I ordered the upper from PSA last week, I strongly considered a Del dissy that was on sale at Midway.

Either way, you probably won't go wrong.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Anyone have any thing to say on the 14.7 vs 16. More recoil or noise? Better handling. I realize that it's only something like and oz or two different.

·
Banned
1,261 Posts
Anyone have any thing to say on the 14.7 vs 16. More recoil or noise? Better handling. I realize that it's only something like and oz or two different.
I have the 14.7" PSA and some other 16" and really dont see much difference..Had to have one though cause it was another reason to buy a gun LOL!!!

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
Thanks for the heads up Evild. I was just on PSA's website and it looks like it's going to a little cheaper with them because of free shipping. I'm also a little torn about where to spend the extra for the HF barrel instead of just the CMV.
I would pay the extra few bucks for a CHF barrel.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the help guys. I just placed my order with PSA for the 14.7. I will try to remember to post me review of my experience with PSA and the build itself.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
PSA will come with a properly sized 5.56mm chamber and approprate gas port size for the given barrel length and gas system type.
(carbine, midlength and rifle all call for different port sizes)

Del-Ton will hold a cartridge roughly the right shape, and generally (90+%) has way too big a port hole making for stupid levels of over gassing.

Note: with an oversize port you can get most **** rounds to cycle, whereas a proper port for 5.56mm may not cycle wimp bargain bin .223 rounds, because its not designed or intended to shoot it, not because its f'd up.
(which is why 'bargain brands' punch the ports oversized to begin with: to convince mental midgets that thier product is 'superior' since it'll cycle rounds that a properly tuned system won't)

Clue/indicator: if a carbine will cycle a generic brand steel case bargain bin underpowered .223 round with anything heavier than an H1 buffer installed, its significantly overgassed.
If it can get up into the H2~H3 range without having short stroke issues, its stupidly overgassed.

In regard to the PSA uppers, BCG and CH have always been an add on item except in the instance of a couple specific on~sale special kits in the past.
Several even require you select if handguards come with the given assembly or not along with type if so.

Or at least that's the pattern I've observed over the past few years anyway. :shrug:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just got off the phone with them. The only thing that got messed up a little was the muzzle brake. I called PSA the other day and discussed it with them and said that after I place the order online; just call them to make the change at no additional cost because it was a wash from the suppressor to the brake. Well, I did just that but the insisted that I had to pay for a Troy brake to be added and that they wouldn't charge me for the flash hider. I explained that the hider was already included in the price of the upper and requested that at least could they credit me the measly $8 for the A2 hider I could not use and put it against the $45 Troy brake I was no going to have to buy. Nop, no dice. I know it's a minor thing, but hell you'd think something minor like that would be cool; since someone mispoke earlier about the charges they could have made a $8 exception. Guess it's still a better deal than I have found else where so I probably should give a crap.

·
Banned
1,261 Posts
I just got off the phone with them. The only thing that got messed up a little was the muzzle brake. I called PSA the other day and discussed it with them and said that after I place the order online; just call them to make the change at no additional cost because it was a wash from the suppressor to the brake. Well, I did just that but the insisted that I had to pay for a Troy brake to be added and that they wouldn't charge me for the flash hider. I explained that the hider was already included in the price of the upper and requested that at least could they credit me the measly $8 for the A2 hider I could not use and put it against the $45 Troy brake I was no going to have to buy. Nop, no dice. I know it's a minor thing, but hell you'd think something minor like that would be cool; since someone mispoke earlier about the charges they could have made a $8 exception. Guess it's still a better deal than I have found else where so I probably should give a crap.
Yea for $8 what the Hey!You will be getting a real good upper at a great price...

·
Premium Member
4,398 Posts
Because A2 FHs have almost no value to a FFL who pushes that quantity of guns.
At the few shows I lugged A2 FHs (brand new just removed from factory new uppers) , they are a tough sell even at the $3ea I had on them.
PSA probably places a value of .75 cents to $1 to a A2 FH...that they "value" to be an $8 part when they sell them or have them on an upper.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
depends on the barrel, but if it is a CHF unit PSA FAR AND AWAY over the delton. Though, it is fun to google image search delton bolt failures.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
I would go psa. I shot my new psa build today for the 1st time and it was a great success! It's a 14.7" hammer forged double chrome lined barrel that fn makes from their machine gun steel. It's a very nice upper. I ran 80 rounds of wolf wpa threw it with no failures. It cycled nice and strong not weak like my 20" does with the stuff and 90% of the cases landed about 8-10 feet away in a nice pile at 4:00.

·
Banned
1,261 Posts
Anyone buying any of there "Madness deal" uppers,if so what are you doing for the BCG (that does not come with one)?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts