1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Couple questions for you:

1) What is a reasonable selling price for a rifle with the following features:

A. Colt
B. 20" HBAR or Gov't profile (A2 upper, A2 stock)
C. Double-headed large pin screwed front pivot pin lower. Slabside.

2) Are features like fenced mag release and small front pivot pin worth more, in terms of asking price?

3) Are Colt 9mm blocked preban rifles worth more than the above 5.56 versions? What are these 9mm carbines normally priced at?

4) Does NY prohibit the use of M16 bolt carriers (not asking about trigger group parts--I know the answer to that)?

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
1) Slab side receivers are not worth as much - but in general $1,000 - $1,500; up to the $2,000 range if modern niceties are added (like railed flat top upper etc).

2) Yes

3) I have seen them on GunBroker for about the same.

4) No, M16 auto-carriers are OK both in the state and federally. If your Colt lower has the sear block installed you can't use an auto-carrier without modifying it (it being the sear block).

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Me personally I would be comfortable around a $900 price tag, $1,100 tops.

Are you buying or selling? Got any pics?

Consider that in all but 8 states or w/e a pre-ban is considered nothing more than an old rifle and online they can be find fairly cheap and that has reflected the current prices that one can find in stores.

A local gun shop out this way has 2 Colt sporters for $1,100 (standard lowers, not slab side).

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Me personally I would be comfortable around a $900 price tag, $1,100 tops.

Are you buying or selling? Got any pics?

Consider that in all but 8 states or w/e a pre-ban is considered nothing more than an old rifle and online they can be find fairly cheap and that has reflected the current prices that one can find in stores.

A local gun shop out this way has 2 Colt sporters for $1,100 (standard lowers, not slab side).
I'm guessing that's better than I can do.

The way I figure it, if I can find a good deal out-of-state and pass it on I will. Tricky part is, as you said, finding a rifle that I can take the hit on shipping and still sell at a price that makes sense.

I have to pay at least $60 shipping and insurance so that has to be part of the margin. The gig won't happen if I lose money on every rifle I send your guys' way.

PM Sent.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I don't think you have to overnight rifles, do you? I'm not sure how much insurance is as the most valuable thing I've mailed has only been a couple hundred bucks.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't think you have to overnight rifles, do you? I'm not sure how much insurance is as the most valuable thing I've mailed has only been a couple hundred bucks.
~35.00 Ground, 5+ days. I don't think that includes insurance.

~65.00 3 day. Also don't think that includes insurance.

~140 for Next Day.

I would not ship a $1000+ item and not insure it. Just too many things that can go wrong and if the buyer never gets his preban, "It's UPS's fault" is probably not going to go over too well. There has to be some recourse. I know some buyers don't like to pay extra for insurance, but I insure everything, even if for no other reason than the shipper takes delivery and tracking a little more seriously.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
~35.00 Ground, 5+ days. I don't think that includes insurance.

~65.00 3 day. Also don't think that includes insurance.

~140 for Next Day.

I would not ship a $1000+ item and not insure it. Just too many things that can go wrong and if the buyer never gets his preban, "It's UPS's fault" is probably not going to go over too well. There has to be some recourse. I know some buyers don't like to pay extra for insurance, but I insure everything, even if for no other reason than the shipper takes delivery and tracking a little more seriously.
You might want to give FedEx a shot. I ground shipped a rifle to MD on Monday, it arrived Wednesday, and with $800 of insurance it cost me $17. Granted, packing materials added up to another $20 since I didn't have any good ones at home, but it's still fairly reasonable if you've got your own packaging.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You might want to give FedEx a shot. I ground shipped a rifle to MD on Monday, it arrived Wednesday, and with $800 of insurance it cost me $17. Granted, packing materials added up to another $20 since I didn't have any good ones at home, but it's still fairly reasonable if you've got your own packaging.
Can try Fedex, but fuel costs are a big factor for national carriers.

OR-NY is a lot more gas than NY-MD.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
The last time I shipped a rifle - NY to OK, it cost me around $30 for shipping and insurance.

I always prefer FedEx for shipping guns, they are cheaper, quicker and they are more gun friendly in my experience at least.

In any event, you should be able to make more off of a preban sale to NY than just selling an old rifle in a free state.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts