New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, Im looking into getting a semi automatic rifle, and was originally interested in an AR-15. But I got to reading about the Romanian WASR-10 and was hoping to get some thoughts or insight as to which is preferable. Any advice is appreciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
4,994 Posts
This will now be my standard response... BUY BOTH!

·
Registered
4,994 Posts

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
Oh boy... I am going to try to summarize it to you real quickly..

AK from century arms? = Garage/basement engineering. If you want an AK at least get a decent one with chrome all over. Cheap surplus ammo, some corrosive, some not. Expect 2-3" groups at 100 yards average with some exceptions. Mags are heavy but the whole platform very reliable.
Ammo selection is ok. Bullet selection is very limited due to the .310 bore. Scope you need a side mount and overal system they are very simple to operate and fun to shoot. Magazines are plentfiul but prebans are heavy steel. Consider .223 rem in AK as this extendes the possibiliteis of the platform.

AR brand doesn't matter. Get one with good internals. Needs more cleaning and TLC than the AK but other than that is a great platform. Ammunition is great from bulk military, bulk deals to hunting, target and even long range amazing rounds. Most likely in this case will enjoy a longer barrel for that. Most are very accurate and some extremely accurate rivaling some bolt actions. Magazines are lighter and plentiful. As this ammo is manufacturer in the USA a substantial steady supply chain is guaranteed.

AR is a Very accurate Diva. With care it is awesome.
AK is a biker bitch. It likes it dirty but always there.

When in doubt pick up one of each. With a Saiga/Izmash is a good deal now and it is hard to go wrong.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Remember also that WASR10s are usually the bottom of the barrel AK47 clones, Century Arms also has SAR-1 Romanian variants and Polish model variants that are of good quality, CAI import stamps aren't a death sentence on quality, my AK is fully chromed lined in the barrel and the overall fit a finish of it seems fine to me, no mag wobble, no canted sights.

Check out "Pictures of your rifles" in the rifle section, there are lots of ARs and AKs, see which you like the look of better.

Don't forget that a 5.45x39 AK74 clone (if it is of fair quality) can be just as accurate as a comparably priced AR15, I'd have to say 75% of the AK47s accuracy problem is in its 7.62x39 bullet, not in the platform itself because there are plenty of videos proving that an AK74 is right on par with an AR15. There are about 9 billion more parts available for an AR15 though without a doubt, AK47s take a little more time to find parts for, but they certainly aren't impossible. My build looks pretty sweet to me.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
there are plenty of videos proving that an AK74 is right on par with an AR15.

Dystruk,
I agree with you with most but with all due respect all youtubers in the world cannot even begin to prove that the 5.45 comes anywhere close to the possibilities of the 5.56 NATO casing.
I find any experiments totally subjective and w/o any scientific and mathematical foundation. All that "poison bullet" mythology are the stories that transpired from the Russian - Afgan war where the military transitioned from a totally ineffective heavy FMJ to the hollow cavity design.
The concept was not new, British engineers already had 303 british with the aluminum tip way before WWIII.
The 5.56 has not been a sleep since Vietnam and the days from the original 55gr bullet and the M193 are already very far away.

...just please go to Hornady alone if you want and pickup 3 different type of loads, like:

- Varmint and/or Hunting
- Combat
- Long range

Now go to the 5.45 department in any manufacturer/s you want and do the same and lets compare the external and terminal ballistics.
I know this is against common believe in some enthusiast circles but we can show you the huge margin of superiority of the 5.56 NATO and .223 offerings.
I will open another thread for this. I want anyone to show me please WITH FACTS how the 5.45 is anywhere close to the 5.56 or even superior as someone so enthusiastically claim.

IMO the eastern block had a great baseline for a light 6mm, 6.5 and even 7mm round but they totally missed the boat. .... PPC, grendel... rings a bell?

·
Registered
5,413 Posts

Dystruk,
I agree with you with most but with all due respect all youtubers in the world cannot even begin to prove that the 5.45 comes anywhere close to the possibilities of the 5.56 NATO casing.
I find any experiments totally subjective and w/o any scientific and mathematical foundation. All that "poison bullet" mythology are the stories that transpired from the Russian - Afgan war where the military transitioned from a totally ineffective heavy FMJ to the hollow cavity design.
The concept was not new, British engineers already had 303 british with the aluminum tip way before WWIII.
The 5.56 has not been a sleep since Vietnam and the days from the original 55gr bullet and the M193 are already very far away.

...just please go to Hornady alone if you want and pickup 3 different type of loads, like:

- Varmint and/or Hunting
- Combat
- Long range

Now go to the 5.45 department in any manufacturer/s you want and do the same and lets compare the external and terminal ballistics.
I know this is against common believe in some enthusiast circles but we can show you the huge margin of superiority of the 5.56 NATO and .223 offerings.
I will open another thread for this. I want anyone to show me please WITH FACTS how the 5.45 is anywhere close to the 5.56 or even superior as someone so enthusiastically claim.

IMO the eastern block had a great baseline for a light 6mm, 6.5 and even 7mm round but they totally missed the boat. .... PPC, grendel... rings a bell?
Ah with ammunition types u are right there are a billion different .223/5.56 rounds, but I'm talking average plinking round out of either rifle is just as accurate, the whole poison bullet thing was propaganda back then it does the same thing a 5.56 does on impact really, I just didn't want him to fall for the whole AKs are inaccurate crap and AR15s are tack driving sniper rifles thing, it isn't that extreme of a difference if you compare then proper AK and AR platforms. But as for selection in ammunition I rarely think about that myself, a soft/hollow point for hunting and a FMJ for plinking is all u need in my book.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
you have your reasons and I appreciate that one considers the 5.45 for close quarters/ urban combat and some limited range but what really bothers me a lot I see very knowledgeable people trashing the 5.56 due the lack of penetration capabilities with imtermediate/hard barriers (that I agree it has been the biggest culcript) but they do not mention anything how the poistion bullet does in this scenario. Does anyone thinkt he poison bullet is somehow magical that with their collapsible point does any better job in hose scenarios. nothing, nada, you do not hear a thing about that because it is more convenient to avoid that conversation.
Cheap? yes. Better? .... well lets first ask the chinese why they created a totally new round for the future? Why not the super-duper poison bullet?

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
you have your reasons and I appreciate that one considers the 5.45 for close quarters/ urban combat and some limited range but what really bothers me a lot I see very knowledgeable people trashing the 5.56 due the lack of penetration capabilities with imtermediate/hard barriers (that I agree it has been the biggest culcript) but they do not mention anything how the poistion bullet does in this scenario. Does anyone thinkt he poison bullet is somehow magical that with their collapsible point does any better job in hose scenarios. nothing, nada, you do not hear a thing about that because it is more convenient to avoid that conversation.
Cheap? yes. Better? .... well lets first ask the chinese why they created a totally new round for the future? Why not the super-duper poison bullet?
Me personally have never felt that way, as far as I am concerned (and I may get alot of crap for this from other guys) 5.45x39 for all intents and purposes is the Russian 5.56x45, I do not consider it better or worse, they are equal, if u need penetration, get 7.62x39 or 7.62x51.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
If we want penetration but with the capability to do something after what we need is corbon, double tap with the Barnes loads. Even the MK318 MOD0 in its civilian version from federal.
I mean until we get our hand in the new M885A1 that we will not see for a long time.

·
Registered
43 Posts
To the original poster:

Check out the Saiga 12 Forums, there you can find info on how to convert a Saiga sporter to its original glory. If you decide you want an AK, I would strongly suggest getting a Saiga over the WASR, the conversion is easy and only requires very basic tools and after all is said and done, you will have a new production Russian AK. Plus, you can't beat the feeling of satisfaction you will have after you have completed the conversion yourself...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts