New York Firearms Forum banner
21 - 40 of 65 Posts

· Registered
389 Posts
Everything NYS legislature does seems half-baked. Even legal marijuana. They made it legal to possess, but not to sell without their oversight and licensing in place. Then they said you can't grow it until some arbitrary amount of time after it becomes feasible to sell (i.e., once they get infrastructure in place and begin licensing businesses). So we'll have had legal marijuana for three years before you're legally able to put a god damned seed in the dirt in your own back yard.

They can't even do the right thing without putting their collective dick in it.
Was just discussing this the other day, his take and I cant say i disagree is, its legal, or it is not. is not quasilegal, its not barely legal, it is, or it is not. So, he's growing himself, again. He did it right here in the village in plain sight from the street last summer and not a single LEO even questioned him. No way you couldnt see it, or smell it, stunk to high heaven.

· Registered
268 Posts
I really cant see how this will stand, obviously it’s heading to permit purchasing which is a clear infringement on our rights. If they want to offer them free and instantaneously then maybe they can get away with this foolishness to help deter a few lazy people from buying guns. I dont see how they’ll even have a plan in place for all this within 90 days. Retailers should then sue the state for lost business due to enacting laws without a system for implementation. Its going to go as smoothly as the supposed student loan foregiveness thats being rushed.
This may be more like the New Jersey requirement to have a state issued Firearms Card.
It pre-clears you and may even make purchases go through faster. It could be a case where the lib-tards just shot themselves in the foot.

· Registered
389 Posts
This may be more like the New Jersey requirement to have a state issued Firearms Card.
It pre-clears you and may even make purchases go through faster. It could be a case where the lib-tards just shot themselves in the foot.
Kind of like the body armor ban, which in fact, does not actually ban body armor, because, shocker, NYC lib'Ruhls have no idea what they are talking about.

· Registered
14 Posts
I still can't tell whether this is a permit for possessing or a permit for purchasing. The language is not clear to a layperson like myself, and I haven't seen any expert critique of that language in particular. If it's strictly for purchasing within NYS, then it has no teeth from the start; one may simply travel to PA, purchase a complaint rifle without a permit, and bring it back across. If it's like our pistol permits, then the rifle will be registered in your name and to your permit.

And, by the way... "lib-tard?" What is it with the needless derision I see in gun forums? You understand some of us are more progressive than others, right? I'm not a liberal, but I don't quite fit into a neat right-wing category either. And, frankly, the minute I see someone use some baloney insult like "libtard," their credibility goes straight out the window. It makes you sound like you're either a child who hasn't grown out of petty namecalling yet, or an adult who never quite got their either. Not sure which is worse.

· Registered
389 Posts
I still can't tell whether this is a permit for possessing or a permit for purchasing. The language is not clear to a layperson like myself, and I haven't seen any expert critique of that language in particular. If it's strictly for purchasing within NYS, then it has no teeth from the start; one may simply travel to PA, purchase a complaint rifle without a permit, and bring it back across. If it's like our pistol permits, then the rifle will be registered in your name and to your permit.

And, by the way... "lib-tard?" What is it with the needless derision I see in gun forums? You understand some of us are more progressive than others, right? I'm not a liberal, but I don't quite fit into a neat right-wing category either. And, frankly, the minute I see someone use some baloney insult like "libtard," their credibility goes straight out the window. It makes you sound like you're either a child who hasn't grown out of petty namecalling yet, or an adult who never quite got their either. Not sure which is worse.
Best talk to your left leaning brethren, because libtard is small potatoes to what they call anyone on the right.

· Registered
268 Posts
In NYS you only need to register a vehicle that will be on the public roads/trails/waters. If your boat, car, trailer, snowmobile, whatever, is never being used on public property in NY then you don't need to register it in NY.

I thought it went in effect on 6/6 or 6/7 @ 10am. No grace period.

If the supreme court goes against NY in the handgun case I wonder if the rifle license will automatically be moot too.
A little off topic but I’ll add that in many townships there are ordinances that you cannot keep an unregistered vehicle on your property. Mine says no off body repairs or vehicle painting as well. I once had the town complain that I had too many tractors on my mixed agri property. It’s not like I had an engine block hanging from a tree…..

· Registered
268 Posts

Well bambino, choose your words well if you plan on insulting me, I don’t really insult easily nor care for your grain. This page is not really for throwing personal insults it’s for opinion on the new regulations. What does bambino mean again?

· Registered
268 Posts

· Registered
268 Posts
They didn't include just how this will effect the criminal, just us legal people.
They are not trying to appease the legal majority. It appears they are trying knee jerk politics that appears normal to a majority (yes liberal whatever) stuck at Maslow’s third level of needs.
At a higher level they in fact would realize that an ill person will find any means to commit violence - be it a knife, hammer or large rock. Case and point is what’s going on in the UK,
they have to have as many knife laws as NY has gun laws.

· Registered
21 Posts
What’s everyone’s opinion on hochuls minions bill introduced to make semi auto rifles the same way as a pistol in NY. Meaning you need to register it and have a permit for it
I don't have an issue with needing a permit for something like that, but the devil is in the details. If the permit is inexpensive and is shall issue and really just designed to keep firearms out of the hands of nutjobs and criminals I am ok with it. Unfortunately, we have seen time and time again that Democrats are not honest. They use permitting to severely curtail second amendment rights and make things as difficult as they can for law abiding gun owners. Just look at the nonsense NYC engages in. I cringe every time I hear democrats talking about "reasonable gun control" because reasonable to them are things like total bans or severe capacity restrictions. Heck the Congress is looking at capping capacity of magazines at 15. I don't think people should have 100 round magazine drums but 15 is a joke. Some pistols come with standard magazines that hold more than 15. Any standard magazine for a pistol should be allowed.

· Registered
21 Posts
They are not trying to appease the legal majority. It appears they are trying knee jerk politics that appears normal to a majority (yes liberal whatever) stuck at Maslow’s third level of needs.
At a higher level they in fact would realize that an ill person will find any means to commit violence - be it a knife, hammer or large rock. Case and point is what’s going on in the UK,
Yes and the problem with these types of laws is they do nothing to address the underlying issues that lead people to engage in acts of violence like this. There needs to be much more of a focus on mental health instead of kneejerk bans that just make it that much tougher for law abiding people to protect themselves and their families from the nut jobs and criminals.

· Registered
14 Posts
Not only do these laws (as usual) do more to restrict citizens who obey existing laws but we must look closely before saying we are "OK" with requiring a license to purchase a rifle. In NY, as in a handful of other states, we already forbid handguns across the board, then "grant" them to a select group of folks who can fill out a twenty page application, pay filing fees, get references, do background checks, get fingerprinted and hope the judge is in a good mood or knows their lawyer or next door neighbor.

This would place long arms in the same exclusive, variable category.

I can think of a few things that are not even mentioned in the Constitution to which politicians claim people have a "right" which must be defended at all costs.

The right to keep and bear arms is clearly stated as one that free men all have, and which the United States government and state governments MAY NOT infringe upon.

We're in a bad way....

· Registered
268 Posts
So also signed was a requirement for action on the part of the social media platforms. While I agree that blatant threats and very questionable behavior could be a red flag - these platforms have previously squashed responsible conservative content and political opinions unlike their own. So if they don’t like what you have said can they label you as a hostile threat? (Yes, and they have numerous times). But now they will have a greater power to Flag you to the authorities. I’d like to see how the state responds and what rights you have to adjudicate a false flag.

· Registered
14 Posts
Well bambino, choose your words well if you plan on insulting me, I don’t really insult easily nor care for your grain. This page is not really for throwing personal insults it’s for opinion on the new regulations. What does bambino mean again?
Didn't insult you. I offered a point of view and an opinion, and it wasn't regarding your character. I gave you these observations: a) it sounds petty and unreasonable (childlike) to use name calling as an argument, b) it's difficult to take you seriously when you sound petty and unreasonable. I didn't do it nicely, so apologies for any ruffled feathers. But it wasn't an insult.

I'm sure you're a decent enough human. Thought you might want to know your language is unbecoming. After all, we wouldn't want to insult anyone.

At any rate, re:

multical said:
I happen to agree with you there.

One of the things that makes me a dirty progressive is I advocate for attacking the so-called "gun problem" with a social welfare strategy. I don't mean welfare like foodstamps. I mean real increases to affordable healthcare (incl. mental health), increased wages across the board, pour money into education so kids don't grow into delinquent terrorists, etc. Make life so good for so many people that crime in general drops, and the ignorance and hatred that enable these cowards is diminished. Happy people don't commit mass murder.

Best thing Progressives could do is adopt gun ownership positivity. Make it so all you folks who vote based on gun issues have an easier time voting in policies that benefit public interests. And when the domestic terrorists start to dwindle, so too does the call for banning scary guns.

· Registered
14 Posts
Here’s a clarification of the new law by an attorney. It’s only new purchases.
Dumb question time: will this prohibit purchase out of state without the permit? Appears to, as the article uses the language "purchase or acquire." Still, there's no federal law against buying and transporting from out of state like there is with handguns. If you forego the NYS FFL and get the rifle out of state, obviously the transaction, the background check, and the store will have documentation of what you bought and when. But NY shouldn't even know to check up on that unless you're the target of an investigation for something else.

If you can buy out of state, this stops precisely 0 mass shooters.

· Registered
75 Posts
Dumb question time: will this prohibit purchase out of state without the permit? Appears to, as the article uses the language "purchase or acquire." Still, there's no federal law against buying and transporting from out of state like there is with handguns. If you forego the NYS FFL and get the rifle out of state, obviously the transaction, the background check, and the store will have documentation of what you bought and when. But NY shouldn't even know to check up on that unless you're the target of an investigation for something else.

If you can buy out of state, this stops precisely 0 mass shooters.
Wrong necs check only list serial # long gun

21 - 40 of 65 Posts